Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

do you frequentely use your soft top ???

Old 04-29-2011, 04:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question do you frequentely use your soft top ???

I live in northern Quebec, in Abitibi, the beautiful warm day here lasts only a few weeks, the more frequently rain ... For guys in the country, do your canvas roof serves frequently? Is freedom top is sufficient,because there is a possibility of saving some money for a soft roof that would not serve? ( I wait impatiently for the 2012 model,I am a prospective buyer ...)

How many time did you put down your soft top in the summer ???
Old 04-29-2011, 05:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Well... If you've got rain and cold weather a lot I'd say go with the hardtop. In Georgia my top is down the whole summer.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds to me like a hardtop is in your future. I love my hardtop. Go with the dual top, try it...if it's not for you, sell it. I just bought a soft top for mine, going to give it a go for the summer...but I am finding out that it is a hell of a lot more work than my hard top. I have a hoist and it takes me all of 10 minutes to lift the top myself. The soft top is somewhat of a wrestling match, for the 4dr. anyway.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

agreed, if you only have a few weeks out of the whole year, and you won't consider moving south lol, then ya, the soft top may not be useful for you. The soft top serves the person that wants to take the top off no matter where they are, and even if it is just the driver. The hard top front pieces come out very easy, but most folks need two people to remove the rest of the hard top....then you have to put it somewhere.

The soft top is tough, and will hold up to rain and snow. But you might find the hardtop is more secure, less noisy, and cheaper. In the south, we barely ever use the top at all, let alone the hard top.

enjoy your jeep when you get it!
Old 04-29-2011, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I pulled my softtop for the space savings
Old 04-29-2011, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by banx
Sounds to me like a hardtop is in your future. I love my hardtop. Go with the dual top, try it...if it's not for you, sell it. I just bought a soft top for mine, going to give it a go for the summer...but I am finding out that it is a hell of a lot more work than my hard top. I have a hoist and it takes me all of 10 minutes to lift the top myself. The soft top is somewhat of a wrestling match, for the 4dr. anyway.
that will get much easier and much faster. I can drop the top in under 10 minutes and drink a beer during that time for a break Putting up usually takes me about 10 minutes being more careful around the tucked edges.

Hope you enjoy the summer with the top down! I miss my jeep more than anything.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Any Clime

that will get much easier and much faster. I can drop the top in under 10 minutes and drink a beer during that time for a break Putting up usually takes me about 10 minutes being more careful around the tucked edges.

Hope you enjoy the summer with the top down! I miss my jeep more than anything.
Agreed, it takes about ten minutes or so. Its funny how the soft top just falls right off. I love riding around with the top down as well. Whenever i can i will, only in a jeep
Old 05-08-2011, 08:05 PM
JK Newbie

I'd get the hard top. I'm in Colorado and I love having the hard top for winter/cold weather.

But, I have both since the weather here is amazing in the summer. Since mine is constantly up and down, I don't tuck the sides in. Seems to work just fine for me so I can drop it in about 2 minutes and up in about 3.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:49 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mr Hobbit
I'd get the hard top. I'm in Colorado and I love having the hard top for winter/cold weather.

But, I have both since the weather here is amazing in the summer. Since mine is constantly up and down, I don't tuck the sides in. Seems to work just fine for me so I can drop it in about 2 minutes and up in about 3.
Yeah, depends on your weather. Here in Colorado, you really have to have a soft top because running without any top at all is too risky with the way the weather changes. I hope to use it only a few times this summer, but that is up - not down. It stays on the jeep down, all the time in summer. In the winter, it is a hard top.

If you only have a few weeks of top down weather, it isn't worth it. The soft top is noisier, less secure, and it is harder to get in the back. It it is a pretty reliable few weeks of good weather, I would just pull the whole top and chance it.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:05 AM
JK Freak

Get the dual top group. Even if its just a couple weeks, you wont regret it.

Quick Reply: do you frequentely use your soft top ???