Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Do you feel Jeeps, especially new, are overpriced?

Old 05-06-2011, 10:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jeeps command about 2X their value in the sales dept and are only worth 1/2 value when they get servicing.

Brilliant!!

How much is $60K in Russia worth, in Canada I think that would be a deal (but don't quote me)???
Old 05-06-2011, 10:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't believe how the price has gone up on used Jeeps. i bought my 07 X automatic in December of 2009 with 17K miles for $15,900 and now you take touch them for less than $18K with 40-50K miles. My friend was looking for one and ended up with an 02 model and paid close to what I did. I guess the economy is getting better. I'm glad i bought when the economy was down.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by wtildens
Rednroll, i guess i wouln't know to much about the rock crawling, but i have had my fair share of muddy trails and fields.

and i admit i never test drove the auto, but i can't believe that you would have the control that you can get out of a stick. well i guess "to each his own"

thanks for the input, oh i do love the "mall crawler" comment, it always make me laugh
I figured everyone else has used the "Mall Crawler" comment one time or another....so I said "What the heck?", since you felt the need to criticize the auto trans

From June 2011 Four Wheeler Magazine Page 6. "Rules for Rocks" by Douglas McColloch.

Got a stick tranny? Sorry to hear!! My Colleague Sean P. Holman might disagree, but having a left foot that's available for braking when you're feathering the throttle to inch over a boulder, or when easing down a steep, off-caber drop, is so much easier than having to baby a clutch, hour after hour, at ultra-slow trail seeds. It's not that you can't crawl with a grindbox-it's just that having an automatic gives you one less thing to worry about.
Tire spin is a no no when climbing up rocks, and having an auto makes it so much easier by being able to focus your attention on the accelerator pedal and not having to worry about having to balance riding the clutch pedal just enough, while at the same time, applying just the right amount of gas pedal, while at the same time, trying not to roll backwards. With the auto it's so much easier letting the torque converter handle all that while you just focus your attention on applying the right amount of gas pedal. Coming down over a rock is similar. It's best to down gear and let the trans hold you back from rolling down too fast, which you can also do in a stick, but in the event you need to use the brake, in a stick you have that slight moment of having to push in the clutch pedal where you can start to free wheel down that rock, accidentally stall....etc. There are things you don't have to worry about in an auto where you can ride the brake and the gas pedal to ease yourself down in a much more controlled manor.

The key point whether you agree or disagree is that some may view the auto trans to having some key advantages for their use and to criticize people for getting an auto instead of stick is unsubstantiated.

Last edited by Rednroll; 05-08-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I figured everyone else has used the "Mall Crawler" comment one time or another....so I said "What the heck?", since you felt the need to criticize the auto trans

From June 2011 Four Wheeler Magazine Page 6. "Rules for Rocks" by Douglas McColloch.

Tire spin is a no no when climbing up rocks, and having an auto makes it so much easier by being able to focus your attention on the accelerator pedal and not having to worry about having to balance riding the clutch pedal just enough, while at the same time, applying just the right amount of gas pedal, while at the same time, trying not to roll backwards. With the auto it's so much easier letting the torque converter handle all that while you just focus your attention on applying the right amount of gas pedal. Coming down over a rock is similar. It's best to down gear and let the trans hold you back from rolling down too fast, which you can also do in a stick, but in the event you need to use the brake, in a stick you have that slight moment of having to push in the clutch pedal where you can start to free wheel down that rock, accidentally stall....etc. There are things you don't have to worry about in an auto where you can ride the brake and the gas pedal to ease yourself down in a much more controlled manor.

The key point whether you agree or disagree is that some may view the auto trans to having some key advantages for their use and to criticize people for getting an auto instead of stick is unsubstantiated.

I guess i need to give it a try sometime. i'm not really in a place to do my rock stuff. but i'll try to barrow a auto and give it a try.

thanks red,

Quick Reply: Do you feel Jeeps, especially new, are overpriced?