Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Do you feel Jeeps, especially new, are overpriced?

Old 05-02-2011, 08:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they have gone up a bunch in the past year, but I'm saying this is primarily because there's nothing out there that can touch it or even comes close in looks or comparison. So they get to jack the price up a little, wait for the right time to buy and get a good deal. My 09 JKU was32K and I held out and stole it for 26.5. It takes a lot of work and a good amount of waiting but there are deals out there.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:18 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Basfishing
I haven't checked the price of new ones lately, but I think the price of used ones is crazy. Lately I've seen used '08's and '09's for more than what I bought my '09 for new. And I'm talking up to 3-4 grand more.
Yeah, that part is VERY nice. In 09 they were semi-cheap. Mine is still worth more on TRADE IN than I paid. LOL. In my opinion, that makes it VERY cheap. What other car, sorry vehicle can you drive for two years and lose no value? Seriously.

I drove my TJ for 3-4 years, and I lost $1,500 on it. Per mile, that is very, very cheap.

The wranglers hold their value awesome, that makes the real cost less in the long run. My WK (grand cherokee) however, I drove for 4 years and 85k miles - I lost close to 17k dollars on that thing and I only paid $23k for it new. It was rough, multiple hit and run dents (small), broken windshield, it had been keyed front to back, transmission issues, broken parts, etc - but per year that Cherokee was infinite times more expensive to drive than my JK has been on vehicle value anyways.

It may be expensive to "get your foot in the door" but as long as you don't mod it up to expensive, Wranglers are probably the cheapest cars on the road to own as far as depreciation is concerned. What other 15 year old vehicle on the road still holds 30% plus of its purchase price?
Old 05-03-2011, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

I don't think the JK is over priced......Actually, I think ALL cars are over priced.

With that said though, when I purchased my JKU, my wife and I narrowed our selections down to 4 cars, my preference was the JKU, here are the 4 that we liked. 1. JKU 2. H3 3. Toyota Venza 4. Lexus RX. Essentially we were interested in buying a 4 door SUV type of vehicle. Well, all the other vehicles once you added a V6 engine or bigger as an option they ALL cost more than the JKU. Throw in the fact that the JKU had 4WD and a removeable top while the other 3 cost $6K-$15K more once you added options that my Sahara package came with.......It was very easy to convince my wife that the JKU was the right vehicle for us.....and she originally hated the look of the JK and didn't talk to me for a week after I purchased the JKU, because she preferred the Venza and the H3......but ultimately, it was the cheaper price tag on the JKU that helped me win that battle.

So is it over priced? Well yes.....Is it over priced when compared to other comparable vehicles? Not in my opinion.....it's actually a lot cheaper when compared to the other vehicles I was interested in buying.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bonanza
Work trucks don't count! Plus I bet that 25k went to the duramax diesel...? I could take the manual windows if there was a diesel in the engine bay.
No diesel. Just the 6.2 Vortec.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

What does not seem overpriced-It is going to get worse-steel prices are going thru the roof. It is all about supply and demand. If no one was willing to pay that much for a Jk-prices would go down-or it would go away-still must be pretty good demand.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:39 AM
JK Junkie

Well put it this way...the jump from 06 rubi unlimited. To 07 2dr x jk. Is fairly hefty. My buddy bought a used 06 rubi unlimited with 30 thousand miles on it. For $15,000 ish. I paid $19,980 for my 07 jk x 2dr. He told me that was wayy to much because his was only one year older but that much cheaper. I told him that because it was a new body style they raised the price alot. So the jk is more than an older jeep. But I love my jk and wouldn't trade it for anything.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:43 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by sringer
So the jk is more than an older jeep.
In more ways than just price!
Old 05-03-2011, 07:56 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ronjenx

In more ways than just price!
True that. It is wayy better over all. I love the jk
Old 05-03-2011, 08:04 AM
JK Freak

I am looking at an ad in the paper right now. 2 dr 2011 wrangler for $18988. The Patriot is selling for more than the 2 dr wrangler.
Probably base, and our dollar is worth more than yours is now. (just got back from San Diego, wonderful place, pacers is messed up)
There really is no competition for the wrangler. My advice, wait till gas goes up to $5 per gallon in the States, and you will see the price of the wrangler fall fast.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:19 AM
JK Freak

Just look...a deal will happen. I got mine for a good deal and 0% for 72 months. Admittedly, the incentives are far and few between, but they pop up every now and again...just be ready to pop when you see it...won't last long!

Quick Reply: Do you feel Jeeps, especially new, are overpriced?