Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Do you feel Jeeps, especially new, are overpriced?

Old 05-01-2011, 01:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about your jk, but mine is the worst piece of crap I have ever owned and I love it ! Wranglers are grossly overpriced when you consider how cheap they are made and they can charge whatever they want because fools like us keep buying them. I believe that the wrangler is truly a thing of the past, they will soon be a range rover competator. but look on the bright side, we will be able to get the chinese look alike jeep and it looks to be at least as good as the chrysler version and a lot cheaper.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:34 PM
JK Jedi

Could not agree with the OP more. I love Wranglers but they are insanely overpriced for the materials used and the quality.

My JK was 24K in 08. I would have never paid 30K+ for a Wrangler..

Went to the NY Auto show today and although the interior looks improved on the 2011, it already had a million scratches all over it and was still flimsy feeling when you pushed on it. Same with the paper thin sheet metal, you push it and it dents.

I tried pushing on other trucks at other displays and the sheet metal was pretty solid.

I love Jeeps, but they need more competition, cause the price is insane for a tin can with a tent strapped to it.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wranglers are in demand and have a following. It's simlular to why you can get a Honda motorcycle for a lot less then a Harley. Harley has a following and people will pay money for their brand.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:07 AM
JK Newbie

Before I bought my 11' Unl. Rubi I looked at a lot of used JK's; autotrader, cars.com, oodle, searchtempest, autonation, carmax, etc., I think I looked for a deal on a used one just about every way there is to look; I didn't even have a problem driving one back from all the way across the country either. The resale value on Unl. Rubi.'s a couple of years old is high. I found dealers in the SoCal area were asking about as much for a year or two old Rubi as a new one would be. You can also easily search new Jeep inventory online; I found the first 3 dealers I contacted about the T.L. affiliate pricing wouldn't participate. This little weasel with missing teeth at the downtown L.A. Chrysler dealership just got up and walked away; no negotiating, no "have a nice day", no nothing. I finally found a dealership in the L.A. area that would sell an Unl. Rubi at the 1% below invoice price and so that's what I bought.
With most vehicles depreciation takes maybe 10 or 15% a year off the price; that doesn't seem to be the case with the Unl. Rubi's; at least for the moment. Maybe high gas prices will change that; I don't know.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=craigj;2265145]Before I bought my 11' Unl. Rubi I looked at a lot of used JK's; autotrader, cars.com, oodle, searchtempest, autonation, carmax, etc., I think I looked for a deal on a used one just about every way there is to look; I didn't even have a problem driving one back from all the way across the country either. The resale value on Unl. Rubi.'s a couple of years old is high. I found dealers in the SoCal area were asking about as much for a year or two old Rubi as a new one would be. You can also easily search new Jeep inventory online; I found the first 3 dealers I contacted about the T.L. affiliate pricing wouldn't participate. This little weasel with missing teeth at the downtown L.A. Chrysler dealership just got up and walked away; no negotiating, no "have a nice day", no nothing. I finally found a dealership in the L.A. area that would sell an Unl. Rubi at the 1% below invoice price and so that's what I bought.

True shit man, I wanted to buy a used un Rubi opossed to a new one to save sum mod money but they were only like 3k cheaper then a brand new one an they had like 40k miles on them... Fuck that I got myself a brand new one. And I looked EVERYWHERE.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes they are very low value vehicles when you just add the sum of the parts. Chrysler exploits the heritage of the Jeep name by talking advantage of it customers, much the same way Harley Davidson does. Not to mention that they jack the MSRP up every year. A JKU Rubi was nearly $4K cheaper in 2007 than 2011. THANK YOU CHRYSLER, AGAIN! Wish they would take notes from Ford and what they did with the Mustang.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

But can you put a price on feeling this every time you get behind the wheel. Also ,has great resale value that helps it's overall cost. I had an infiniti fx35 that lost 20 grand over 3 years. Traded for wrangler and the Jeep has kept is value and has made up for any loss I might have had.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:30 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's funny, I am looking for a personal JK for myself, but man are people REALLY proud of them. I am looking for a JKU 2WD or stock, but the cost for even a 2007/8 is high teens. I am considering a straight up 4 seater buggy....
Old 05-02-2011, 08:36 AM
JK Newbie

I haven't checked the price of new ones lately, but I think the price of used ones is crazy. Lately I've seen used '08's and '09's for more than what I bought my '09 for new. And I'm talking up to 3-4 grand more.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

"...why Chrysler believes this is a 30k vehicle apart from the fact some people pay that..."

^^This is your answer^^

Quick Reply: Do you feel Jeeps, especially new, are overpriced?