Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Do you feel Jeeps, especially new, are overpriced?

Old 05-01-2011, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you feel Jeeps, especially new, are overpriced?

I've been trolling around the forums for months now, and I am patiently waiting for either: amazing incentives on remaining 11s, or a base 2012. This same line of thinking struck me a few years back regarding the Challenger, in that it really is incredibly overpriced for what it is. I've had my eye on a Sahara Tan 2door. It's a 6speed in sahara trim. MSRP-- $30,800. I've been offered 29,5 as a first time offer from an online salesperson, but considering the lovely state of California's almost 10% tax and licensing fees, I'm looking at 33k OTD.

I can't for the life of me figure out why Chrysler believes this is a 30k vehicle apart from the fact some people pay that. The interior, albeit drastically improved, is still hard plastic and among the lowest quality in the industry. The engine has had it's R&D paid off eons ago, and its attributes are nothing to boast about-- horrendous MPG, lackluster power. The suspension/chassis is akin to that of horseless carriages. The transmission is a stick, and even if I opted for an auto, it too is 1990s technology. The reliability ratings are damn near the lowest in the industry, and the wrangler gets award after award of worst value/harshest ride/lowest reliability.

With ALL that said, I still want one. Badly. But I just have the hardest time justifying the purchase, much less affording it with all the mods I would like to do. I dare you to find another $20k vehicle on the market that doesn't come with power windows/locks standard.

Are we really just paying for the badge/heritage? As much as I mock BMW/Merc owners for paying the badge premium, I can't help but feel I will be doing the same.

What are your thoughts?
Old 05-01-2011, 09:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. I think it's priced so high because the wrangler has no competition. Sure you can say the FJ and H3 are but they aren't the same in any way. Try looking for a lightly used one. I paid 23,000 for a sahara JKU with 18,000 miles on it. It took a couple months of hunting and 2 months back and fourth with the dealer though. If you love the wrangler for what it is, the negatives have no weight to the fun and freedom no other vehicle can offer.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChopN
I agree. I think it's priced so high because the wrangler has no competition. Sure you can say the FJ and H3 are but they aren't the same in any way. Try looking for a lightly used one. I paid 23,000 for a sahara JKU with 18,000 miles on it. It took a couple months of hunting and 2 months back and fourth with the dealer though. If you love the wrangler for what it is, the negatives have no weight to the fun and freedom no other vehicle can offer.
I completely agree. As far as going used, it would be my daily driver and I need the new interior. Interiors matter to me, and also... Sahara Tan or bust.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:11 AM
JK Newbie

I kind of thought they were at first but try to think of what a jeep would be like without a removeable hard/soft top and 2wd and small tires and then throw a price tag of another comparable vehicle and itll make you feel better. I was going to comment on the removeable doors but jeep doors are probably much cheaper to produce and definately alot easier to assemble. Does anybody know what the price is to produce one and what other vehicles are on the market that you can compare it to?
Old 05-01-2011, 10:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bonanza
I completely agree. As far as going used, it would be my daily driver and I need the new interior. Interiors matter to me, and also... Sahara Tan or bust.
I kind of wish the interior on mine was a little crappier just so I wouldnt feel so bad about tearing it up lol, if it was I would leave the top off alot more.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FireTrail741
My Rubi stickered at $38K. Yes, that is a bit crazy for what you get in a physical Jeep but, the versatility and go any where has a lot of merit to why we all continue to by them at the ever increasing prices and. They are just a lot of fun period. That has a value to it.
Raptors are a lot of fun at that price range too. Difference is the Raptor is oozing in engineering and creature comforts. I would rock the ever loving S out of a Raptor but being a guvmn't prosecutor won't pay off my loans and the Raptor payments at the same time. Also too I've found that high speed Baja runs are damn near impossible to do in Socal anymore, so the rockcrawling OHV trails are it-- and jeeps are the kings there, hands down.

At least I can afford beer
Old 05-01-2011, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

My work truck is a 2011 chevy 2500 an it has manual windows and manual locks AND an A/M F/M radio. No CD player or an aux input. And the sticker on that was over $25k without a bed too. It cost more to not have a truck bed. I just regret paying $18k for windows I have to zip down. If I would have had full doors I would be completely happy.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Echo5hotel
My work truck is a 2011 chevy 2500 an it has manual windows and manual locks AND an A/M F/M radio. No CD player or an aux input. And the sticker on that was over $25k without a bed too. It cost more to not have a truck bed. I just regret paying $18k for windows I have to zip down. If I would have had full doors I would be completely happy.
Work trucks don't count! Plus I bet that 25k went to the duramax diesel...? I could take the manual windows if there was a diesel in the engine bay.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Someone said it earlier, theres no real competition for the wrangler. No other drop top 4x4 produced in nortg america. Still solid front axle. Its really a niche market.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Definitly. The Jeep brand is looking to go to what Land Rover and Hummer are, "Expensive Luxury SUV's".

Prediction- the "wrangler" will have detatchable door hinges as an "option" and not stock, within 15 years.

Quick Reply: Do you feel Jeeps, especially new, are overpriced?