Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Do Shrockworks rock rails work as side steps?

Old 09-30-2007, 01:13 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well not sure what the delivery will be on these. The set I have was a preproduction test fit set. At the time they were still working on the 4 door version which I saw a couple of weeks ago at the Off Road Evolution So Cal. meet and greet. (They looked awesome by the way, a lot of the 4 door guys were pretty stoked)

I have and had them both(Shrockworks and Pure Jeep). They are both rock solid and you cant go wrong with either set. I just happen to like the style of the formed fit PJ ones. You get more ground clearance with the PJ ones. The bar/step is just about even with the bottom of the door which is probably a couple of inches higher than the shrockworks.

What I think it boils down to is personal preference. I have wanted the PJ body mounted ones since I saw them (through project jk photos) on the orange pure jeep Jeep at Sema. I like how they also hide all the ugly pinch seam stuff on the side of the Jeep. Unfortunately, they weren't available until now, so I ordered the shrockworks ones for in the meantime.

I haven't had the PJ ones out on the trail yet, to put them to the real test, but I have full confidence they will protect me just fine or I wouldn't have put them on my Jeep. Last weeks Odessa Canyon trip would have been the ideal testing grounds, but it was kind of a last minute run, and I wasn't able to make it. Everyone on that trip dragged the rocks pretty well. I plan on catching one of our next runs or I have heard of some talk about trying to round up a camping trip back to Odessa.

Anyway, I love these rails, get a lot of compliments on my Jeep, I am sure because of them, and I'm sure they'll hold up to anything I will put them through.

That being said, the shrockworks will hold up to anything too, you just have to decide which style is right for you. I dont think you can go wrong either way. Both Pure Jeep and Shrockworks companies/owners are class acts, make great looking stuff, and is the direction I will always look first, before adding anything to my Jeep.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the PJ ones are solid...thats good to hear....how are they working as a step for ya, and do they stick out far enough to keep the body away from trees..????
Old 09-30-2007, 09:25 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by bofer84
So the PJ ones are solid...thats good to hear....how are they working as a step for ya, and do they stick out far enough to keep the body away from trees..????
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the rockrails are just okay as steps. Anything I would consider a step would hang a lot lower. Yes, they aid a little in getting in and out, especially for the kids, but I truely think you can either have a step or a rockrail. They help more for exiting the vehicle, it kind of gives the kids someplace to stand before they jump. My wife is 5'6" and she wonders why the steps are so high. I have to tell her they are not steps, they are rocker protection. Then I goose her, and she flys right up in the Jeep!
Old 09-30-2007, 10:12 PM
JK Jedi

I know what it feels like, my proctologist did it to me....................... ..........................Wait, how did he do that with both hands on my shoulders??..................... ....................................

Quick Reply: Do Shrockworks rock rails work as side steps?