Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Do Shrockworks rock rails work as side steps?

Old 09-09-2007, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rubimon
All of the tube rails, regardless of brand, are a little high to be used as a step. They help a little when climbing down but not as much going in. To me it is easier to step over them. But you cant have it both ways. A rail that would be totally useful as a step would be too low for anything more than mild offroading.

Just my $.02, worth about 1/2 of that!
From the new pictures, I can see my kids could wrap their hands around 'em and scramble up. Easier than trying to grab the carpet inside. Not to say they won't get dirty doing it, but if that's a concern, why are they trying to get in a Jeep anyway?
Old 09-09-2007, 08:23 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by scoolbz
From the new pictures, I can see my kids could wrap their hands around 'em and scramble up. Easier than trying to grab the carpet inside. Not to say they won't get dirty doing it, but if that's a concern, why are they trying to get in a Jeep anyway?
They are better than not having anything, and they will step on them getting in and out. The real definition of a step to me is something that would be 1/2 up to the next level not something that is almost the same height. When people climb into my Jeep, their first comment is "Your step is too High". I have to explain it's not really a step and then let them know what it is for.

It probably saves a little wear and tear on the door sill because they will step on the rail instead of that. I just dont want someone thinking they are buying a step then be disappointed. They are great for standing on while washing the top!

Most of all they provide awesome protection when off-roading!
Old 09-09-2007, 08:43 AM
JK Junkie

We're all built differently and my legs aren't the longest, but every time I get in I have to use the tubes. Anybody stepping straight in over those tubes should be playing basketball. Getting out, I just put one foot on them and slide out over them. They stick out almost 4" from the side and make a great step for me.

If you're sold on these for your kids, maybe think up a neat grab handle setup for them.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:04 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by seer1
We're all built differently and my legs aren't the longest, but every time I get in I have to use the tubes. Anybody stepping straight in over those tubes should be playing basketball.
It's the constant running up and down the court that gives me trouble!

Oh, and putting the little round thingy throught the net!
Old 09-09-2007, 09:58 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Rubimon
It's the constant running up and down the court that gives me trouble!

Oh, and putting the little round thingy throught the net!
Old 09-28-2007, 08:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

scoolbz,

I'm installing my Shrockworks rails this weekend and will send pix if you're still interested. I have a wife looking to use the rails as a step and I have two little girls that will probably use them to climb in and out of the Jeep...

Old 09-28-2007, 10:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default For sure!

Originally Posted by dayton1999
scoolbz,

I'm installing my Shrockworks rails this weekend and will send pix if you're still interested. I have a wife looking to use the rails as a step and I have two little girls that will probably use them to climb in and out of the Jeep...

I'd love to see pictures. Especially of the part where you have to drill holes. (I think that's part of the instructions.) I ordered mine already but I'm sure it will be months before they show up.

Good luck and have fun installing!
Old 09-29-2007, 02:08 PM
JK Freak

Not to hijack the thread, but how come i don't see people using the pure jeep rock rails...It looks like they would provide for a much better step to get into the jeep the the shrockworks
Old 09-29-2007, 02:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bofer84
Not to hijack the thread, but how come i don't see people using the pure jeep rock rails...It looks like they would provide for a much better step to get into the jeep the the shrockworks
Since I started the thread, I think this will keep you from hijacking it. I checked out many rock rails, and I really think the Shrockworks looks the coolest. The purejeep ones are too busy a design. The Shrockworks are very clean and simple. Also, they look like the safety bars on an amusement theme park ride. I like that association very much!
Old 09-29-2007, 05:53 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bofer84
i had been waiting on the PJ rock rails ever since i saw the ones that piginajeep used on his (the PJ rock rails he did the write-up for) but i haven't been able to find these anywhere. then WOL made the announcement about the formed PJ rock rails. i'm assuming they decided not to manufacture the version that piginajeep has. i like his a lot better. i ended up going with the shrockworks rock rails instead.
but, back to your question - i'm not sure what is up with the PJ rock rails. their website says, "price not available yet." northridge4x4 has them listed for $599, but i'm not sure if they are available yet, or what a lead time on them might be. i don't like the formed ones as much, so i didn't ever look into it.

maybe WOL or David have some info on these, or the other style that piginajeep has.

Quick Reply: Do Shrockworks rock rails work as side steps?