Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Do Shrockworks rock rails work as side steps?

Old 09-08-2007, 10:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do Shrockworks rock rails work as side steps?

I can't tell from pictures just how far they stick out to the side. Is it enough to step on, or would your toes slip off? Would little kids be able to use it to climb up?
Old 09-08-2007, 11:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'm not exactly a little kid, but I do use my Shrockwork rails as steps to get in my jeep. They are just perfect for it.

Some people have mentioned putting skateboard tape on for traction - they are rounded and slippery when wet, especially if you have bare feet!
Old 09-08-2007, 12:02 PM
JK Junkie

You definitely want to put that skateboard stuff on'em. Just don't wear shorts and let your leg slide over it. It'll really take some skin off if you're not careful. As far as kids, it would be great if you could find someone close by with the Shrockworks installed so you could judge for yourself. I got mine off a guy whose very little ones couldn't use them.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I think I can confidently order them now. That was the last sticking point without the advantage of seeing them in person. This forum is the greatest!
Old 09-08-2007, 02:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can absolutely use them as steps - just make sure you add some 1" wide anti-slip tape. :-)

BTW, they come in handy to access a roof rack.

js.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have them and well they are not slippery at all...I have kiddos climbing in and out all day and nobody has slipped yet....I say yes you can ues them as steps but no don't mess them up with tape....
Old 09-08-2007, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKGirl
I have them and well they are not slippery at all...I have kiddos climbing in and out all day and nobody has slipped yet....I say yes you can ues them as steps but no don't mess them up with tape....
Can't believe I'm actually conversing with JKGirl. You're like a JK-Forum all-star. Anyway, what finish do you have? Is it semi-glossy, textured or bare steel?

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scoolbz
Can't believe I'm actually conversing with JKGirl. You're like a JK-Forum all-star. Anyway, what finish do you have? Is it semi-glossy, textured or bare steel?

Thanks for the help everyone.

I have the textured- Here is an older pic- with rock rails before the new bumper...I really like my rock rails...they are something I have never regretted...worth every penny!!
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-08-2007, 08:20 PM
JK Jedi

All of the tube rails, regardless of brand, are a little high to be used as a step. They help a little when climbing down but not as much going in. To me it is easier to step over them. But you cant have it both ways. A rail that would be totally useful as a step would be too low for anything more than mild offroading.

Just my $.02, worth about 1/2 of that!
Old 09-09-2007, 06:17 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by scoolbz
I can't tell from pictures just how far they stick out to the side. Is it enough to step on, or would your toes slip off? Would little kids be able to use it to climb up?
This picture gives you a good perspective of the Shrockworks rock rails and I think you can clearly see they'll work as steps.

Quick Reply: Do Shrockworks rock rails work as side steps?