Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Do not buy from PORC

Old 12-17-2009, 01:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do not buy from PORC

Not sure if this is the right category to put this in but I want to make others aware of this company and to not do business with this guy.

performanceoffroadcenter dot com

I ordered 2 ARB diff covers from him at a good price. Didn't hear anything for a couple of weeks. Called to find out what was going on and I was told that one part was in stock but the other was on back order. Why wasn't I told this? He gave me the chance to get a refund then, which I should have done but I decided to let it go through. One cover was sent from his distributor and the other was sent by him. They were both to be sent via UPS, which I paid for. The distributor sent via UPS and I received it but he sent his package via USPS. The shipping address was my work and they accept FedEx/UPS here but our USPS address is through our home office, USPS does not deliver here directly. Weird but that's the way it is. Well that package got returned as undeliverable but his address was also undeliverable as well so it ended up going to the dead mail dept of the USPS.

I contacted him about this and told him the story and said I wanted a refund on the other cover, $144.99. No problem he said. Now over 2 weeks later still no refund and it's impossible to get a hold of him. I've left email, voice mail and have tried calling many times in the day but with no answer.

Did a google search on this company and many others have had the same fate. In fact his company is rated F with the BBB. I just filed a complaint with them to see if they can resolve this. My next step would be to contact my credit card company to dispute the charge. But it's my debit card through my credit union so we'll see how that goes.

I ended up ordering the part from 4WD, got it within days and got it on my Jeep that same weekend. All for the same price. I saw that this guy and 4WD had the same part for the same price but I decided to go with the little guy, I like to help small business. But this is one small business you should stay away from.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks man,,,, I hate it when good folks get screwed by any business!!!
Hope it all works out for you...
Old 12-18-2009, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yesterday I filed a complaint with the BBB in his area and disputed the charge with my bank. The bank would have to mail me something to sign but the BBB took action the next day.

This is my first time using the BBB's service and wow! The next day I get an email from them saying they have notified the business and he has a month to respond. Minutes later I get an email from PORC saying he already refunded my money and should check with my bank. A BS excuse but I check my bank account online and there's the money! I guess the BBB put the fear of God in him and he finally set things straight.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:52 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by djdingo
... My next step would be to contact my credit card company to dispute the charge. But it's my debit card through my credit union so we'll see how that goes. ... I saw that this guy and 4WD had the same part for the same price but I decided to go with the little guy, I like to help small business. ...
Kudos to you for wanting to help out the little guy. However, you really should use a debit card just to make ATM withdrawals. Here's a good article on why ...

Debit or Credit? Here's the Answer

Regardless, credit unions are especially good at offering protections for debit card usage. So you'll probably be just fine. But, in the meantime, the money is not in your checking account until this is resolved, where with a credit card you'd have just had to suffer less available credit.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:55 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Nice link regarding credit/debit. Thanks. Very informative.
I have always been suspicious of debit cards and have not used one. Now I know why.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:04 AM
JK Junkie

Its good you had luck with the BBB....

but you do know that they really have no authority over anything right??

We do business with them, have an A+ rating, and I still dont like them and wish they would disappear. the local consumer affairs office is the way to go, they actually do an investigation, and dont just fax a letter asking what you will do to resolve a complaint that in most cases was not valid to begin with. (in your case it seems it was)

Im now just ranting.. anyways, what ticks me off with the BBB is you dont even need to be doing business with them to file a complaint. basically, if you have competition in your area and want their rating to be less than perfect, you can (and people do) make up phony reports stating you had them in your home to give them an estimate and didnt like thier sales practices.. BAM your rating is lower.. even if they cannot prove you were ever in their house to begin with. Rant over
Old 12-19-2009, 07:15 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by djdingo
Not sure if this is the right category to put this in but I want to make others aware of this company and to not do business with this guy.

performanceoffroadcenter dot com

I ordered 2 ARB diff covers from him at a good price. Didn't hear anything for a couple of weeks. Called to find out what was going on and I was told that one part was in stock but the other was on back order. Why wasn't I told this? He gave me the chance to get a refund then, which I should have done but I decided to let it go through. One cover was sent from his distributor and the other was sent by him. They were both to be sent via UPS, which I paid for. The distributor sent via UPS and I received it but he sent his package via USPS. The shipping address was my work and they accept FedEx/UPS here but our USPS address is through our home office, USPS does not deliver here directly. Weird but that's the way it is. Well that package got returned as undeliverable but his address was also undeliverable as well so it ended up going to the dead mail dept of the USPS.

I contacted him about this and told him the story and said I wanted a refund on the other cover, $144.99. No problem he said. Now over 2 weeks later still no refund and it's impossible to get a hold of him. I've left email, voice mail and have tried calling many times in the day but with no answer.

Did a google search on this company and many others have had the same fate. In fact his company is rated F with the BBB. I just filed a complaint with them to see if they can resolve this. My next step would be to contact my credit card company to dispute the charge. But it's my debit card through my credit union so we'll see how that goes.

I ended up ordering the part from 4WD, got it within days and got it on my Jeep that same weekend. All for the same price. I saw that this guy and 4WD had the same part for the same price but I decided to go with the little guy, I like to help small business. But this is one small business you should stay away from.
How far is he from Iowa? Just ride over there with your double barrel. He'll come around.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:32 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
How far is he from Iowa? Just ride over there with your double barrel. He'll come around.
That, or he'll offer up his daughter in marriage.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:03 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BBB just wanted $400 bucks a year from me. They can kiss my ass. They don't have the clout they did years ago. Useless IMO. Who actually calls the BBB BEFORE they do business somewhere to see their rating.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:09 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by mkjeep
... Who actually calls the BBB BEFORE they do business somewhere to see their rating.
I did when I hired a builder for my house. But that was twenty years ago. I think that today I'd rather check some of the Internet alternatives because there you can read unvarnished opinions from customers, not that there was a dispute that has been resolved (or not). However, there you can also find a bunch of unmitigated BS as competitors or people with a grudge also chime in. Truth is, if I didn't buy things (or from someone) that sometimes may have a very negative review on the Internet, then I'd never buy anything!

Quick Reply: Do not buy from PORC