Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

differential question

Old 03-14-2010, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
You make it sound like the dealer is going to change your diffy fluid. They certainly will, but at what cost? I've never heard of a warranty that would cover this routine maintenance,but maybe I need to get out more. LOL. Anyway, if you must pay for this, then you should know that it is an easy task and you could save yourself a couple hundred bucks doing it yourself.
yeah i found a couple of how to's on the net. i believe one of them i saw is WOL's. Might have to give this a shot
Old 03-14-2010, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
You make it sound like the dealer is going to change your diffy fluid. They certainly will, but at what cost? I've never heard of a warranty that would cover this routine maintenance,but maybe I need to get out more. LOL. Anyway, if you must pay for this, then you should know that it is an easy task and you could save yourself a couple hundred bucks doing it yourself.

my dealer will charge me but i'm not sure how much..they've been fair about a lot of stuff so far!

i read in the manual if you go through water as deep as the bottom of the differentials to check all of the fluids? they make it sound so easy to get water into these components. i did this months ago, but like i said, its the ONLY time ive been through deep water, and it was 2-3 inches shy of the sidesteps, and it was literally for 15 feet, in and out, didnt seem like a big deal..and it's been to the dealer since then and they always check my fluid levels ( i do the 3 month/3,000k mile service intervals there where they do the full checkup) so do you guys think im set? should also mention when this area was much more shallow i plowed through it going like, 20 mph for an undercarriage wash.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

basically fellow jeepers, if i was in water that was within 3 inches of being as high as the side steps, for a matter of seconds, is that enough to get into the breathers?

edit: guy said the front breather is near the upper shock mount..wheres the rear one?
Old 03-14-2010, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

probably 15"-17" max of water....for a few seconds, in a parking lot...any worries?
Old 03-14-2010, 04:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by saharastyle1354
i plowed through it going like, 20 mph for an undercarriage wash.
remember when you plow through any water, if enough water gets into your air intake....

search "hydrolock"...

Originally Posted by saharastyle1354
probably 15"-17" max of water....for a few seconds, in a parking lot...any worries?
for peace of mind and a good experience, just change both diffs. Other than the smell, you will enjoy it and know your jeep a lot better. Follow WOL's write-up.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jiblet
remember when you plow through any water, if enough water gets into your air intake....

search "hydrolock"...

for peace of mind and a good experience, just change both diffs. Other than the smell, you will enjoy it and know your jeep a lot better. Follow WOL's write-up.
damn...i mean the water was an average buildup of water from a blocked sewer..maybe 6 inches at the most..probably hit it 15 mph, 20 was an exaggeration...sounds likes it easy to hydrolock though..i've hit HUGE puddles on main roads that shot higher than my jeep..scary shit.

Quick Reply: differential question