Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

differential question

Old 03-13-2010, 12:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default differential question

I have almost 12k miles...dealership hasn't done anything with the differentials yet besides check the fluid but i had a quick question about differentials and water. How deep of water do you need to worry about for water to get into the differential? a couple of months ago I drove through a parking lot (not wheeling, i know) in which a 15 foot distance was flooded as deep as my sidesteps. i know jeeps can handle water, but how much before i have to check my differential? i never knew that they could "take on water" like that as im still kinda learning about this stuff (completely new to it in the last couple of years.) You guys know yer shit so i figured i'd throw it out there..probably a dumb question..but i had to ask
Old 03-13-2010, 01:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

basically, if i can do water fording up to 30" with my jeep, what do i have to worry about? im just reading up on the parts i dont know about, and came across that. say i go through a huge flooded puddle somewhere, thats axle height. does that mean i need to check my diff? i effin hope not..again i know i sound like a n00b but this is my first vehicle other than sharing a car with my family a few years ago. still trying to learn..i appreciate it you dudes are my only hope.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:29 PM
JK Junkie

The question is not how deep is the water, the question is how much time the diff. was under the water.

Be sure that the water is under the axle rubber hoses

If you're stuck in water 30 minutes, I would change the oil

Last edited by Yoda; 03-13-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yoda
The question is not how deep is the water, the question is how much time the diff. was into the water.

Be sure that the water is under the axle rubber hoses

If you're stuck in water 30 minutes, I would change the oil
okay so its time based mostly, not depth based...that clears a lot up...thanks man. good to know these things.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:38 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Pull the fill plug for your differentials and dip something into the fluid. If it's water contaminated, it will have a milky appearance. Be aware that diffy fluid gets very black and stinky--that's normal. If it doesn't have a milky appearance, you shouldn't need to change it until the next scheduled change (or you run through deep water again).

BTW: To clarify the time based criteria, the differential cools when it's in water. This cooling can cause it to suck in air through the vent tube. If the tube opening is under water, well ... The longer it's under water, the longer it will suck in water (sorry, I know that's obvious to you). But, the bottom line is, did water contaminate the fluid or not?

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 03-13-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Breather for front ax le comes up to upper shock mount. I never had mine that deep but after a few runs I changed it and it had some water in it. I'd pull the inspection plug and stick something in, if it looks milky. Change it
Old 03-13-2010, 01:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Pull the fill plug for your differentials and dip something into the fluid. If it's water contaminated, it will have a milky appearance. Be aware that diffy fluid gets very black and stinky--that's normal. If it doesn't have a milky appearance, you shouldn't need to change it until the next scheduled change (or you run through deep water again).
i read for non-heavy use the change is 24k? on another thread? i dont think the dealer has done anything but check the fluid since i bought her. haven't been through water too deep for any more than a minute or so..but i go there every 3 months to keep to that "tires for life" deal..and they're great about everything so far and the guy who works on my jeep hasn't mentioned anything bad about the diffs..so thats a good thing i guess.. good dealers are hard to find i hear...

max depth of the water ive ever been through was a couple of inches shy of the sidesteps id say, drove in and out. if the breathers are up that high i doubt i did anything...jeez im a noob.

Last edited by saharastyle1354; 03-13-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:05 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by saharastyle1354
i read for non-heavy use the change is 24k? ...
My '07 manual says 15K miles if driving off-road and other severe use, no service specified otherwise (out to 150K miles, anyway). It goes on to say that most vehicles will require the severe use maintenance schedule. You should read the criteria in your owner's manual and decide which applies.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

it looks like they have me on schedule for 15k miles..3,000 more to go...so im assuming if the water was a little lower than my sidesteps im all set? it was in a parking lot where a sewer got flooded and we got a shit ton of rain..a volvo went through after me and died..pretty strange to see in a big parking lot
Old 03-14-2010, 03:54 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

You make it sound like the dealer is going to change your diffy fluid. They certainly will, but at what cost? I've never heard of a warranty that would cover this routine maintenance,but maybe I need to get out more. LOL. Anyway, if you must pay for this, then you should know that it is an easy task and you could save yourself a couple hundred bucks doing it yourself.

Quick Reply: differential question