Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Are Differential Covers worth it??

Old 12-17-2008, 01:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Differential Covers worth it??

My Rubi has a 3" lift with 35's. I usually go to the desert, mostly on trails with a moderate amount of rock crawling. I haven't yet hit the diff. I've hit every other area, but I have those armored up, especially the gas tank. I'm just curious if an HD diff cover has prevented a catastrophe (or if not having one caused a catastrophe) and what were you doing when you hit the cover. I would assume the only diff cover you would need is the front but maybe I'm wrong. What are your opinions, pictures and stories??
Old 12-17-2008, 01:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think they are helpful. Both front and rear. Front more so. My TJ one was ground down all over the bottom. Both front and rear. They do present clearance issues with suspension parts depending on your lift.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

8 to 10 rigs out wheeling in Wenatchee National Forest. A few rocks, nothing major. All of a sudden, wham, I drop off a small shelf. And immediatley heard a grinding sound. Made it back to camp. And proceeded to drain and beat out my diff cover. Sheesh, and typical Northwest weather...it was raining.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	diff_bust.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	16664  
Old 12-17-2008, 03:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BigTrace
My Rubi has a 3" lift with 35's. I usually go to the desert, mostly on trails with a moderate amount of rock crawling. I haven't yet hit the diff. I've hit every other area, but I have those armored up, especially the gas tank. I'm just curious if an HD diff cover has prevented a catastrophe (or if not having one caused a catastrophe) and what were you doing when you hit the cover. I would assume the only diff cover you would need is the front but maybe I'm wrong. What are your opinions, pictures and stories??
If playing in rocky area or area where there or tree stumps I don't think you can have to much Armour. I took a chip out of my rear and created a leak. Now I have a Solid diff cover. On my front I have a Rancho rock slider. Everything thing else is rock hard.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	94866-lg.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	16665  
Old 12-17-2008, 03:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BigTrace
I look at it as relatively cheap insurance. I only have the front right now, I figured that was more vulnerable, but I plan on getting the rear cover my next gear oil change.

I got the Riddler front for $109 shipped. It gives me peace of mind
Old 12-17-2008, 07:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I backed into something getting around a stuck F-150, pulled him out and when he was following me he came over the CB and said "I think you're leaking something in the back."
Sure enough, even though the hit didn't even dent the cover, it was leaking just slightly. Almost completely stopped the leak by tightening the diff bolts, right up till one snapped off (!!).
Ordered the ARBs & LubeLockers from David at Northridge the next day, slapped some silicone into the gap and it held untill the covers showed up.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:21 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

easy....... YES
Old 12-17-2008, 07:23 PM
JK Junkie

We nail the front one ALOT.... so it has definitely paid for itself several times over I havent nailed the back one yet, but I have wheeled with people who have peeled the stock back cover up after sliding over a rock and Ive seen people do the same to the front. A leaky dif can ruin your whole day if you dont have the tools to fix it on the trail. So yes, I really think they are worth it
Old 12-17-2008, 08:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Like others have said, it is one of those things that if you break, it often puts your JK out of commission until you can get a replacement. I consider these to be in the same category as my engine skid - Not necessary, but definitely a good preventative measure.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JackMac4
easy....... YES
What he said!!!!!

Quick Reply: Are Differential Covers worth it??