Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Diesel Help! Need Expert Opinion.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel Help! Need Expert Opinion.

I have found a motor that I am very interested in.
Its from a turbo diesel from an export jeep. same year as my own.
It comes with a tranny, the motor, wiring harness...stuff like that.
What would it take to be able to make it fit and run in my JK Unlimitied.
I'm very interested in doing this and feedback would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it a complete wiring harness (absolutely no wires cut)? If so I would think the toughest part is going to be finding all of the sensors and exhaust after-treatment pieces that the motor needs to run properly (exhaust pressure sensors, diesel particulate filter, etc). This would probably all need to be special ordered from a dealership so it would be a very expensive process of getting the diesel into a domestic JK. I would say with the amount of effort and expense involved it would probably just be easier, around the same price, and a much more desirable finish if you just sell your current 3.8 JK and buy a diesel JK from Canada and import it.

I say this because modern light-duty diesel engines (like the 2.8 VM Motori) run beautifully and rather cleanly, however they require a lot of electronic instrumentation and exhaust after-treatment to do so. If you start trying to just throw a modern diesel in a vehicle without everything that the stock vehicle it came out of had, the engine will likely remain in a limp mode, run crappy, and not give the performance you're after.

I have thought of this many times as I have driven light duty diesel vehicles and LOVE the low-end torque and power rather than the high-end power of typical gasoline engines. Plus I worked in a diesel engine lab for my Master's degree, so I know what all would be involved with adapting a modern diesel into a new vehicle.

Your best bet if you want to put a diesel into your existing JK would be to go with something very low-tech that had no exhaust after-treatment on it. I am guessing that this is why (Teraflex?) is adapting an old 12 valve cummins 5.9 into their vehicle. That engine doesn't really require many electronic signals (other than throttle position and maybe one or two others) in order to run properly and at full power.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any more questions you have as I should be able to answer any specific questions you have about modern diesels as I have actually collected data on the exact about the 2.8 VM Motori engine that goes in the JK in the lab I did research in. Also I have helped adapt a Euro spec diesel into a domestic GM SUV, so I have seen the nightmare that comes from trying to put a modern diesel into a vehicle that it didn't come with stock.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Emissions Legal

Swapping engines used to be "relatively" simple;now,with strict emission requirements that involve tailpipe tests,& visual inspections,not so much.I believe that The Law requires the swapped in engine to be the same year or newer than the year of the vehicle (vin #) to meet emission standards.This means an older ,dirtier (diesel) engine swap into a JK would be problematical from the compliance standpoint. Gas engines-the popular Hemi swap, is from the same "family" & is done with all the emissions-supporting "stuff",so it meets CARB rules.If some states have less rigorous emissions testing,that will be changing soon,& you don't want to be caught with your diesel down,so to speak."They" can fine you & make you put all back to original.CAI's are starting to be looked at ,so plan ahead...
Old 01-08-2011, 08:04 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Four Low
Swapping engines used to be "relatively" simple;now,with strict emission requirements that involve tailpipe tests,& visual inspections,not so much.I believe that The Law requires the swapped in engine to be the same year or newer than the year of the vehicle (vin #) to meet emission standards.This means an older ,dirtier (diesel) engine swap into a JK would be problematical from the compliance standpoint. Gas engines-the popular Hemi swap, is from the same "family" & is done with all the emissions-supporting "stuff",so it meets CARB rules.If some states have less rigorous emissions testing,that will be changing soon,& you don't want to be caught with your diesel down,so to speak."They" can fine you & make you put all back to original.CAI's are starting to be looked at ,so plan ahead...

im not really worried about any of that hear in georgia.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tpm152
Is it a complete wiring harness (absolutely no wires cut)? If so I would think the toughest part is going to be finding all of the sensors and exhaust after-treatment pieces that the motor needs to run properly (exhaust pressure sensors, diesel particulate filter, etc). This would probably all need to be special ordered from a dealership so it would be a very expensive process of getting the diesel into a domestic JK. I would say with the amount of effort and expense involved it would probably just be easier, around the same price, and a much more desirable finish if you just sell your current 3.8 JK and buy a diesel JK from Canada and import it.
Holy hell!!!!!!!!! We have diesel JKs here in Canada?!??!?!?!?! Since when? seriously though, we don't have 'em here either.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:06 AM
Former Member

I say this because modern light-duty diesel engines (like the 2.8 VM Motori) run beautifully and rather cleanly, however they require a lot of electronic instrumentation and exhaust after-treatment to do so. If you start trying to just throw a modern diesel in a vehicle without everything that the stock vehicle it came out of had, the engine will likely remain in a limp mode, run crappy, and not give the performance you're after.

I have thought of this many times as I have driven light duty diesel vehicles and LOVE the low-end torque and power rather than the high-end power of typical gasoline engines. Plus I worked in a diesel engine lab for my Master's degree, so I know what all would be involved with adapting a modern diesel into a new vehicle.

Your best bet if you want to put a diesel into your existing JK would be to go with something very low-tech that had no exhaust after-treatment on it. I am guessing that this is why (Teraflex?) is adapting an old 12 valve cummins 5.9 into their vehicle. That engine doesn't really require many electronic signals (other than throttle position and maybe one or two others) in order to run properly and at full power.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any more questions you have as I should be able to answer any specific questions you have about modern diesels as I have actually collected data on the exact about the 2.8 VM Motori engine that goes in the JK in the lab I did research in. Also I have helped adapt a Euro spec diesel into a domestic GM SUV, so I have seen the nightmare that comes from trying to put a modern diesel into a vehicle that it didn't come with stock.
You won't find diesels here in Canada or Mexico for that matter.......thanks to California emmissions agreements
Old 01-08-2011, 01:11 PM
JK Freak

i mean, ive found a motor. i just need to figure out how to get it in and running.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:49 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Bacon
Holy hell!!!!!!!!! We have diesel JKs here in Canada?!??!?!?!?! Since when? seriously though, we don't have 'em here either.
I actually noticed that today, I went to look for them on the Jeep Canada site! Did they drop it in 2010 or something? I remember when looking at JKs in 2008 that the 2.8 diesel was an option in Canada. I would have imported one then except that Pennsylvania wouldn't allow one to be registered so my hands were tied
Old 01-08-2011, 02:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by LaxAHolic
i mean, ive found a motor. i just need to figure out how to get it in and running.
Go for it man. You got motor and harness. The rest of the parts shouldn't be that much. If it a good price. I
Old 01-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Former Member

I actually noticed that today, I went to look for them on the Jeep Canada site! Did they drop it in 2010 or something? I remember when looking at JKs in 2008 that the 2.8 diesel was an option in Canada. I would have imported one then except that Pennsylvania wouldn't allow one to be registered so my hands were tied
NOPE JKs have never been available in Canada with a deisel.
I have an 08 1/2 DEISEL Grand Cherokee and it's the last of the line for them. They stopped putting deisels in the Liberty I beleive a year earlier...gotta love California emmission standards.

Quick Reply: Diesel Help! Need Expert Opinion.