Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Diesel coming to the US

Old 12-28-2009, 06:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by woffles
If they sound as crappy as every other diesel in the US then I hope they don't come here. Nothing to help the cause of keeping trails open like loud smelly black belching diesel powered Jeeps out in the woods. May not be a popular view but it's a true view. Any chance they would be more like a European diesel such as in a BMW?
The VM Motori is a European diesel. Have you not heard or seen the new heavy duty Cummins, Ford or Duramax diesels in trucks? They don't spit out black smoke nor are near as loud like they used to do. In Europe, I drove a Ford Focus diesel 130 mph easily on the Autobahn and it was quiet and smooth.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would definitely be the first in line...

If they sound as crappy as every other diesel in the US then I hope they don't come here. Nothing to help the cause of keeping trails open like loud smelly black belching diesel powered Jeeps out in the woods. May not be a popular view but it's a true view. Any chance they would be more like a European diesel such as in a BMW?
The image of loud obnoxious diesels spewing smoke is one from the past... Most diesels you see driving around these days are fairly inconspicuous... except for say a lifted F250 running oversized tires and a rich tune (which is done intentionally to get that dark smoke in most cases.)
Old 12-28-2009, 06:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see my wife being too happy about me trading in my gas Jk for a diesel. Seems it will have to suffer an untimely death when the diesels come out!
Old 12-28-2009, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CLACKEY(_!_)
I don't see my wife being too happy about me trading in my gas Jk for a diesel. Seems it will have to suffer an untimely death when the diesels come out!
I smell a "stolen" jeep and an insurance check...
Old 12-28-2009, 06:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Hmm... My step-daughter is going to be around driving age in a couple of years... might have to make her a deal on my rubi and get myself a diesel unlimited.
Oh gawd, the mods will start all over again and at the same time!
Old 12-28-2009, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TNJKER
I would definitely be the first in line...

The image of loud obnoxious diesels spewing smoke is one from the past... Most diesels you see driving around these days are fairly inconspicuous... except for say a lifted F250 running oversized tires and a rich tune (which is done intentionally to get that dark smoke in most cases.)
I still see a lot of diesels like that around here. I always wondered why overseas you could drive a sedan with a straight 6 diesel and it's as quiet as a gas engine and pickups in the US sound like semis. Who runs a similar diesel stateside I could check out? As someone else pointed out would they do anything for the drivetrain to handle the added torque?
Old 12-28-2009, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I may finally get to finish my sig.................
Old 12-28-2009, 07:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MDPJeep
I may finally get to finish my sig.................
Yep, but you were just too optimistic leaving two 0's in the 200?
Better late than never!
Old 12-28-2009, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That diesel will be a BIG Dog...174Hp and 341 ft lbs of torque...It won't get out of its own way...They need to use the 3.0...250 Hp with close to 500 ft lbs of Torque..The 3.0 will get the job done. Mated to a Mercedes 6 speed Auto and you have a winner..
Remember its Torque that gets you rolling. Its HP that keeps you there.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:31 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah that 174hp sounds pretty low. I think our mini vans the V6's are in the 250's? or 244hp. I can't remember exactly. But then again I'm not too knowledgeable about those types of engines. Sounds awesome though. If I ever do an engine swap it's going to be a diesel

Quick Reply: Diesel coming to the US