Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Did you finance your tires?

Old 07-14-2011, 10:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seriously, if you cannot afford to buy some tires outright, you should not be modding your jeep - whether its 33's, 35's or even OEM replacements (maybe OEM if you are in a real financial bind for some reason and your family safety is the concern).

Touching a 401k is absolutely retarded, applying for a credit card for just this purpose should be avoided.

Please don't get in debt to look cool!
Old 07-14-2011, 10:48 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by blacksheep
Seriously, if you cannot afford to buy some tires outright, you should not be modding your jeep - whether its 33's, 35's or even OEM replacements (maybe OEM if you are in a real financial bind for some reason and your family safety is the concern).

Touching a 401k is absolutely retarded, applying for a credit card for just this purpose should be avoided.

While no fun, this is some solid advice.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:16 AM
JK Freak

If the man plays his cards right he shouldnt have a problem opening a credit card for new tires? Ive already used my credit cards for jeep parts and paid them off each time. I think Ive already paid off the credit cards 7 times. Not hard to do at all.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Agreed. It is one thing to finance a vehicle so you can get to and fro. Taking out a line of credit for mods is not a good idea. Try to find something more affordable. Take a look at Treadwright tires. They are considerable cheaper than new brand name tires.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

TOTALLY agree! The money that I spend on my Jeep is from a completely seperate account from that of which we fund our family. The wife has her account, I have mine, and we have our joint. My investments and my 401k would never be touched for Jeep mods. My Jeep would be stock as stock can be if I couldn't afford it.

Instead of dropping $1500 tomorrow, why not borrow someone else's cash, without penalty and pay it off over time?
Old 07-14-2011, 11:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

On a side note, this is why I love this forum. Topics such as this. I don't know dude from the next guy and he's giving solid advice as to not put myself in debt over some new shoes. It's like a dinner table conversation.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:29 AM
JK Freak

Wow. I cant believe more people arent telling you stay away from credit cards and telling you to take out a loan!

if you cant afford to get new tires cash, you cant afford it. Sorry, but thats life. Do not take out a loan on your 401k. That is nuts. Save for a few months and just get tires out of your head for a few months.

And people wonder why the country is in a hole... The "american dream" of getting whatever you want whenever you want is a trap.

just SAVE
Old 07-14-2011, 11:39 AM
JK Newbie

Was just in your shoes last week. Have a Rubicon and wanted the oem tires or something bigger. Couldnt afford them so I had to settle for some small x take offs for about $300. My tires were worn down bad. I almost got a credit card to start doing the same thing and figured if I can afford I can. When I get extra cash I set it aside to get what I want until I have enough otherwise I feel its just not meant to be.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Pay cash. If you don't have the cash save until you do. Dont touch your 401k. If you do, you don't understand the principles of compounding interest. I speak from experience. In my 20's i racked up serious credit card debt nodding a few vehicles. It started out with 0% interest deals and just kept increasing the debt with the thought "oh I can afford the monthly payment"

Trust me...pay cash and you will appreciate the mods more.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2011, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

A good way to go is do what I do. I have an ING account where $20 goes into every week. At the end of a year you have over $1000 to spend on tires. You just need to start saving before you need them. With it only being $20 you don't even notice it coming out of your pay.

Quick Reply: Did you finance your tires?