Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Did someone try to steal my door?

Old 08-17-2007, 12:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did someone try to steal my door?

Did someone try to steal my door or are the torx nuts on the bottom of the door hinges POS's?

The first day I got my Jeep I waxed it...and if something had been out of place, I would have noticed. Well, yesterday, I was out in the dunes talking about taking the doors off and I noticed that the Torx nuts on the bottom of the hinges ONLY on the rear left door were missing (I drive an Unlimited, btw). All of the nuts were securely on the other doors....

Either they fell out from normal wear and tear or they were removed for some insidious purpose.......fwiw my jeep is less than a month old. And I did take the doors off, which was heavenly...and to hedge the off chance that someone removed the nuts and was coming back for the door later.

What do you think?

Last edited by citizennobody; 08-17-2007 at 01:00 AM.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Not sure it could have been vibration from offroading, they could not have been tight enough, or it could have been someone planning to steal them. I assume you have power locks and the alarm (most do) just lock the jeep when you leave it. The door has to open to remove it and with it locked and alarm on the problem is solved. Many of us ride with our Door Torx Nuts out. HAPPY DO NOT GO THERE this applies to everyone else I said Door Torx Nuts.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:34 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by only_in_my_jeep
Not sure it could have been vibration from offroading, they could not have been tight enough, or it could have been someone planning to steal them. I assume you have power locks and the alarm (most do) just lock the jeep when you leave it. The door has to open to remove it and with it locked and alarm on the problem is solved. Many of us ride with our Door Torx Nuts out. HAPPY DO NOT GO THERE this applies to everyone else I said Door Torx Nuts.

Wha? I drive around with my nuts out all the time. Everything swings freely when the access is open and everything is safe, warm and snug when i close it. I was concerned about leaving them out at first, but after seeing other Jeepers with theirs out i was less aprehensive. I questioned a few who obviously had theirs out and they said they never had any problems with it, and most people barely gave them a passing glance for doing so. Although there was a slight concern they might fly off in the event of a rollover.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:36 AM
Eternal ***erator

Originally Posted by citizennobody
Did someone try to steal my door or are the torx nuts on the bottom of the door hinges POS's?

The first day I got my Jeep I waxed it...and if something had been out of place, I would have noticed. Well, yesterday, I was out in the dunes talking about taking the doors off and I noticed that the Torx nuts on the bottom of the hinges ONLY on the rear left door were missing (I drive an Unlimited, btw). All of the nuts were securely on the other doors....

Either they fell out from normal wear and tear or they were removed for some insidious purpose.......fwiw my jeep is less than a month old. And I did take the doors off, which was heavenly...and to hedge the off chance that someone removed the nuts and was coming back for the door later.

What do you think?
maybe they had no interest in the door and just wanted your nuts?

i am a little unclear if you meant you had your doors off before or after you noticed them missing, if you did... ...are you positive you put them back the last time you used them?
Old 08-17-2007, 05:37 AM
JK Freak

Were the nuts on the doors before? DC may have forgot to install them or the dealer may have had the doors off on the lot and forgot to put the nuts back on.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:45 AM
JK Freak

You can have my nuts I've got three kids and don't need them anymore ...

Oh dear, here we go again

Just take em off and leave em off.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't think it is at all probable that both nuts from one door fell out but none of the others lost their nuts (insert laugh here) Someone took those nuts out, whether or not it was you and forgot to replace or a dealer or a thief, someone took them out . Maybe it was a jeep owner who needed another set of nuts. Maybe they even stole them during a test drive before you bought it and you didn't notice.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:26 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
Wha? I drive around with my nuts out all the time. Everything swings freely
No wonder your wife and daughters won't ride with you!
Old 08-17-2007, 07:49 AM
Eternal ***erator

Originally Posted by Rubimon
No wonder your wife and daughters won't ride with you!

Well, there is THAT little problem.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:51 AM
JK Newbie

For the confused, let me use your nutty logic:

I was going nuts the first day I got my Jeep and I waxed it, I also waxed my nuts. While waxing my nuts among other things, I would have noticed a missplaced nut. I even checked my nuts on a couple of occasions wondering how big a wrench I needed to get the job done of removing the doors on her...

At any rate, while acting nuts out in the dunes yesterday, I was again pondering the difficulty of taking off my nuts and noticed that some of my nuts were missing...

My missing nuts made me nuts and after goin nuts over the possibilities, I took the doors off as a safety procedure, from theft, etc, other nuts...

Ironically, the nut that I had a beer with out at the dunes last night/evening was discussing his impending nut removal (today) since he has 2 kids and I was doing my best to scare the crap out of him since I had my nuts removed earlier last year (I have 4 kids). Of course this is different than the nut removal that takes place during a wedding day, but that is a different story....

Quick Reply: Did someone try to steal my door?