Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Definition of Jeep Wrangler

Old 04-10-2008, 01:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by myklt8
To the guys that say a 4 door is not a "real" Jeep, I just tell them
By that logic, anything that came with doors (even as an option) is not a "real" Jeep. The one my Granddad drove in WWII never had doors, and it most definately is a "real" Jeep. thing is the JK (2 or 4 door) is a direct descendant of the original military vehicle that we have come to know as a Jeep.... and even more than that it is the lifestyle and people who make these things into the vehicles we love. some people just do not get it, and never will

Very Well Worded !!!

And ..........

Most ( Generalizing here) "mildly modified" ( Unlocked Diffs) pre JK jeeps can hang with my "mildly modified" JK - X.... I have not got a factory locker in rear and I have not run the wiring on my Mopar Front Dana 44's Locker YET !!

But who's keeping count????????
Old 04-10-2008, 01:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have to say, I loved the raw aspect of my old 84 CJ. But it doesn't compare to my JK. I am having much more fun than I ever have had with any of the other Jeeps I have owned. I wheel at least twice as much as I ever had!

My 2 cents but that doesn't buy jack anymore.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:31 PM
JK Newbie

All very interesting ideas. from the next conversation I tried having with this Jeep guy it was that they were not as capable as his 02 lifted wrangler. Which I know I have seen proof otherwise some of the thing some of you guys do with these Jeeps is mind blowing. Its been great reading all the different answers thanks everybody. I enjoy being a part of this Jeep family
Old 04-10-2008, 02:57 PM
JK Junkie

Gather 'round boys and girls - school is in session!

Here's the lowdown on what's really going on (and has been for decades, with the TJ and the YJ before it, etc.):

Person A buys a Jeep Wrangler. Understandably, they love it, and it's clearly superior to the Wrangler it replaced. Then, for some dumb reason (maybe human nature?), Person A decides that Jeep ownership is some kind of manly status symbol.

Several years pass, then a newer version of the Wrangler is offered up...

Person B buys a new Jeep Wrangler. Understandably, they love it, and it's clearly superior to the Wrangler it replaced. Person A somehow feels that this new Wrangler lessens the symbolic manliness/goodness/toughness/righteousness of his older Wrangler, and makes a dumb statement to Person B like "That's not a REAL Wrangler, because [blah blah blah I'm a huge f'n TOOL blah blah]!"

There you have it. You're welcome.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I want one of every model ever built. At that point, I will be happy.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow, I guess I just don't have patience anymore because I would have just responded "Go away, I don't wish to waste valuable time debating with a moron who makes such idiotic statements".

It's not just Jeeps, but every car, truck, or motorcyle ever made. The guy that spends the most money or has the most unique model always bashes those considered to have the lesser model.

Maybe ok when I was in high school to fall for that, but now? There are much larger issues in the world today.

ENJOY THE HELL OUT OF YOUR JEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-10-2008, 04:32 PM
JK Freak

Never get into an argument with a fool becuase no one will be able to tell who's winning.

I guess this isn't a real Wrangler either . . . .

or this one . . . .

or this one . . . .

The only Wrangler out right now that I'd say one could argue doesn't qualify as a real Jeep would be the 2WD Unlimited. But a regular Unlimited is all Jeep my friend. The hell with that guy.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayland1985

With a few more minutes of searching, I'm sure you can find more examples of what makes a wrangler a wrangler....
My JK is the second of the two JK's posted above. Its lifted 4" on 37's w/ winch and other mods. It got dents here and there and lots of "pinstriping." I wheel it every chance I get at numerous Jeep and non Jeep events and I've never had anyone question whether or not its a Jeep. Of course I did remove the chrome Jeep letter on the hood "Unlimited" stickers on the body and eventually install proper "JEEP" stickers to avoid any confusion.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a 74 CJ-5 v8 and an 81 CJ-7 4cyl. and now i have an 07 JK unlimited, that gut feeling while driving these disappeared for years when I had a minivan. I don't care what anyone says ITS A JEEP!!!!!!!!AND I LOVE IT! but I also love bitching about all the issues I have to maintain and repair on it and that makes it a JEEP too.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
Person B buys a new Jeep Wrangler. Understandably, they love it, and it's clearly superior to the Wrangler it replaced. Person A somehow feels that this new Wrangler lessens the symbolic manliness/goodness/toughness/righteousness of his older Wrangler, and makes a dumb statement to Person B like "That's not a REAL Wrangler, because [blah blah blah I'm a huge f'n TOOL blah blah]!"
Right there is the heart of the problem. I deal with this kind of attitude at work all the time. What the pissy anti-JK TJ/YJ/CJ owners don't seem to get is that....
Just because the JK is better off the shelf than its predecessors, it doesn't make the predecessors any worse than they were before the JK came out.
I was driving a YJ when the TJ came out. I instantly hated the TJ. A year or so later a friend of mine came to town and rented a TJ to do some wheeling. I had a chance to try it and I realized that it was a better vehicle all around. However, it being better didn't make my YJ drive any worse than it did before the TJ came out.

They are all Jeeps, and they all deserve the name. Frankly, the guy who said that to you Teddy is a moron and deserves to be kicked square in the nuts.

Quick Reply: Definition of Jeep Wrangler