Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Death Wobble from snow on rims?

Old 12-22-2008, 02:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife just had the Death Wobble for the first time. She drove over a big snowbank when she left yoga and on the way home she said the front end started to shake so bad the stearingwheel was almost ripped out of her hand. She said she just slowed down and kept driving. What a good girl.......
Old 12-22-2008, 06:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Slowing down will NOT cure the death wobble. Which is why they call it the DW.

Going faster might cure it and it might not.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:30 AM
JK Newbie

I had the same problem last week and took it directly to a car wash and watched as probably about 50 pounds of snow and ice came out from behind the rims and off of the front suspension.

I had no problems after that.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:35 AM
JK Freak

There is a difference between wobble and Death wobble. The regular wobble will stop if you slow down. The DW will not stop until you stop the vehicle! Big difference.

Wobble = not fun.

Death Wobble = Terrifying ride.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:48 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by mobotix
Today I had my first experience of the "Death Wobble." I had some fun today driving through some deep snow and know that it is throwing off my rim/tire balance. At around 40 - 50 mph my front end began to shake violently. It was so bad I had to slow down to about 20 mph to make it stop.

Would the snow packed on my rims be the main culprit or should I be concerned about other potential problems. I have a pro comp 1.75" bb lift riding on stock Bridgestone Dueller A/Ts if that means anything.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Yes - it should be fine once it melts or you hose it out.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had the death wobble myself yesterday. Only seems to happen when I hit 50 or more mph. I never did think to check for snow snuck in my rims, but it makes sense now. It's odd that it only happened when I hit 50 mph... if I stayed at 49 mph, not a problem.

And I agree with others that say, when it happens to you, it certainly does scare the shit out of you!

Last edited by JKnewb; 12-23-2008 at 11:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Death Wobble from snow on rims?