Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Death Wobble from snow on rims?

Old 12-20-2008, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death Wobble from snow on rims?

Today I had my first experience of the "Death Wobble." I had some fun today driving through some deep snow and know that it is throwing off my rim/tire balance. At around 40 - 50 mph my front end began to shake violently. It was so bad I had to slow down to about 20 mph to make it stop.

Would the snow packed on my rims be the main culprit or should I be concerned about other potential problems. I have a pro comp 1.75" bb lift riding on stock Bridgestone Dueller A/Ts if that means anything.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:47 PM
JK Freak

Definitely sounds like its snow packed into your rims. I had the same issues after driving through my parents back field last weekend. Make sure all the snow is knocked out of your rims and you'll find your wobble goes away.

You'll know death wobble if/when you get it. It sneaks out of now where and scares the shit out of you.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Played in a 10"+ snow field last night about 11pm had a blast... Jk did awesome like a hot knife through butter.

Got on the highway today and at 45-50mph DEATH WOBBLE... Knew right away it was snow packed in there unbalancing the tires. Still pretty freaky and a very violent shake.

Slowed to 40mph in the right hand lane. Drove directly to a self car wash, blasted the wheels and under carriage. HUGE HUNKS of ice came off each wheel, shocks and assemblies.

Back on the highway... NO issues, problem fixed.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:21 PM
JK Freak

Definitely sounds like snow is the cause. I wouldn't be to worried. Did you get a chance to clean the rims off and take it for a ride to check? If not, thats what I would do. Quickest and easiest way to know for sure.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is probably snow packed into the rims, or possibly a wheel weight knocked off if there were any chunks of ice in there.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine did the same thing two days ago when we got 10.3" of new snow on top of the 4" to 6" we already had. The JK did not having any trouble going through the snow, but out on the HWY I got the wobble. I had to use my ice scrapper to get all the snow and ice from the rims. Once all cleared, the JK drove smooth once again.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:34 AM
JK Jedi

Definitely possible, a co-worker of mine has a Sahara and had it happen to him. Everything fine after removing the snow packed in his wheels.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Optional heated rims, anyone?

Seriously, planes have sprays of deicing fluid at wings, maybe isn't a bad idea at all carry some monopropylene glycol on the Jeep.

Last edited by Zilon X; 12-21-2008 at 03:38 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:34 PM
JK Super Freak

I have had the same problem is a previous car of my wifes. Shook like hell until we cleared the snow out of the wheel. Probably a half pound of snow and ice jammed up into the wheel. Pretty common issue.

I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:25 AM
JK Jedi

Yes same experience here with snow and that nasty death wobble. When I got home I forgot to pound out the snow from the rims and the next morning the drivers rear wheel locked up and I could not get moving.

The snow wheeling caused the snow in my rims to freeze my brake pads to the rotors..... I had a B with an itch to get the brake to release being a 6 speed manual as I set the park brake. The pads finally released from the caliper with removal of the snow and heating up the rotor with a small propane torch just enough to melt the ice that was locking up the pads. Then I took it out wheeling again in the snow with the kids....but this time I cleaned out the rims before I parked it!!!

Quick Reply: Death Wobble from snow on rims?