Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Death Wobble after snow?

Old 01-27-2016, 02:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death Wobble after snow?

Im on east coast. Got hit by the massive storm. Took it out of my hood in 4hi and accumulated some nice mounds of snow on the tires and underside of the front. Got on the main roads, which were fine, switched her out of 4 wheel and she immediately started wobbling. I stopped at a local gas station, cleared off all the snow from the wheels and track bar, ect. and she was completely fine afterwards. I notice a very VERY minor shake which has been going on and plan on getting everything torqued and replacing my ball joints. Does the snow / mud exacerbate death wobble symptoms? I faintly remember this happening on my old jeep after taking her through mud pits and hitting pavement on the way home to find out she also started wobbling. Either that or something shook loose during 4x4 in the snow....but that doesn't explain why it disappeared after I cleaned all the snow out.

Ideas? No death wobble since the snow day.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Could have been as simple as having a large buildup of snow on the inside of one of your wheels. That would throw that wheel out of balance and produce that symptom
Old 01-27-2016, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

My Jeep does this in the rain since I have Beadlocks and they hold water. Once the water cleared out it was fine.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
Could have been as simple as having a large buildup of snow on the inside of one of your wheels. That would throw that wheel out of balance and produce that symptom
That's exactly where the snow was. Thanks
Old 01-27-2016, 04:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep! One of the reasons I no longer use this wheel for winter, the ice build up is a PIA and wobble city until its all cleared out. A warm car wash solves most of the winter wobbles

Click image for larger version

Name:	60lWG99.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	315.6 KB
ID:	679335

Quick Reply: Death Wobble after snow?