Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Dealership screw around

Old 04-26-2014, 05:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealership screw around

So I bought a Jeep with a lift from a dealership for warranty purposes. When I'm driving it keeps pulling off center to the left. With some help from the forum and other 4x4 mechanics I've determined they used the cheap kit either with no replacement brackets and no adjustable LCA's. They are telling me they will fix the problem by installing a steering damper. I think that will only mask the problem and not correct the actual problem which is the alignment of the axle under the body. Where's my experts at? I need to know exactly what it wrong before I go spend $330 and it only make things feel better!
Old 04-26-2014, 05:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, steering dampners tend to mask problems. They are like cold medicine. They don't kill the cold, but you'd feel better.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK14
So I bought a Jeep with a lift from a dealership for warranty purposes. When I'm driving it keeps pulling off center to the left. With some help from the forum and other 4x4 mechanics I've determined they used the cheap kit either with no replacement brackets and no adjustable LCA's. They are telling me they will fix the problem by installing a steering damper. I think that will only mask the problem and not correct the actual problem which is the alignment of the axle under the body. Where's my experts at? I need to know exactly what it wrong before I go spend $330 and it only make things feel better!
Why size lift and who made it
Old 04-26-2014, 06:15 PM
JK Newbie

I know I know I overpaid! 4" Mopar lift, fox shocks, 35's on 17's
Old 04-26-2014, 06:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's threads like this that make me wonder why I haven't opened a shop, installing lifts for less than what people pay and do it right, the first time. You need a proper alignment, which very well requires lower CA and then some for a 4", if that's what it really has. Hard to tell when a dealer does it. Your package run you about $6k? Or more?
Old 04-26-2014, 07:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
It's threads like this that make me wonder why I haven't opened a shop, installing lifts for less than what people pay and do it right, the first time. You need a proper alignment, which very well requires lower CA and then some for a 4", if that's what it really has. Hard to tell when a dealer does it. Your package run you about $6k? Or more?
I want to say it was $4,200.
I wish there were more honest people in this world and I'm thankful for your addition. I know now what to look for, I did not know then. I'm planning a trip to Arkansas this summer and I know the Highway will annihilate the tread there and back if it is not corrected by then. Do you think a track bar would help? Or just adjustable LCA's? Maybe both?
Old 04-26-2014, 07:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JK14
I want to say it was $4,200. I wish there were more honest people in this world and I'm thankful for your addition. I know now what to look for, I did not know then. I'm planning a trip to Arkansas this summer and I know the Highway will annihilate the tread there and back if it is not corrected by then. Do you think a track bar would help? Or just adjustable LCA's? Maybe both?
with 4", it requires CA's, track bar, brake lines (preferred), front drive shaft replacement, and I think that's about it. The rear would be ok, but best to have upper and lower ca for that for proper alignment. All assuming a JKU. The swb jk would need some additional attention due to the short DS and angles of both DS.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:05 PM
JK Super Freak

I will say need more details about your lift like what it came with or pictures of you front axle area and area behind your front tires

The pictures we can see if you have the right track bar , drag link or tie rod . The picture behind the tires will let us see what control arms you have and drive shaft

Being vague on your setup control arms or relocation bracket will help with caster
Old 04-27-2014, 10:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jaker t5
I will say need more details about your lift like what it came with or pictures of you front axle area and area behind your front tires The pictures we can see if you have the right track bar , drag link or tie rod . The picture behind the tires will let us see what control arms you have and drive shaft Being vague on your setup control arms or relocation bracket will help with caster
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2255329986.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	548934

Name:	image-217140589.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	548935

Name:	image-1225236107.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	548936

Name:	image-3185888387.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	548937

Hope these give you a better picture of what I have

Name:	image-4145142870.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	548938
Old 04-27-2014, 11:36 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

Is it possible that the Fox steering Stab is pressurized, extending the shaft, and pushing left?

Quick Reply: Dealership screw around