Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Dealership problems.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

this happened to me before I bought my Jeep when I was leasing a Grand Caravan. Got about 3 min. away from the dealership and the oil light went on. Stooped and called them immediately and they basically called me a liar and didn't believe me and told me to drive it back. Had the time on the service receipt and showed them a dry dipstick. They apologized and put oil in and sent me on my way. Approx. 15,000 miles later they replaced the block under warranty due to the bearings being shot. I would get the incident heavily documented for future issues.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a great example as to why I don't trust ANY dealership with regular maintenance.

I hope you get it figured out but you have an uphill battle at this point. Hindsight is 20/20. It will be difficult to prove your case given the amount of time that lapsed between the incident and contacting the dealer. Then they could (and probably will) pass blame on you by driving it the next day on only a quart of oil.

Can they do a download on your computer to get the time stamp for when you CE light came on? Maybe you can use that to your advantage?

Best of luck.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by walc
Sounds like he has more than assumed damage, as the check engine and ESC lights came back on.
Not if they're unrelated.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

You can also call Chrysler directly. Sometimes they will put pressure on a dealer to fix their BS.

I'm with Bowtie. I don't let anyone but me touch my Jeep or my old lady's Subaru for regular maintenance. I know I'm not going to sell myself synthetic and put in recycled oil. I sure as hell am not going to forget to put oil back in.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HardRooster
Not if they're unrelated.
Of course; but, that would be quite a coincidence.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ruby Tuesday
The dealer filled it with oil, after you got home you drained it and clamed "foul" so you could take advantage of a great and honest jeep dealer. Never, I repeat NEVER leave the lube place without checking the oil first. I can't believe you dumped 1 quart in and then drove it back. Seriously your as much at flault as the dealer
ok how the hell is it his fault. What I would do is drain the oil and drive it. When it stops put the oil back in and then call those fuckers up.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man that is a sad story OP, I feel bad for you. It is likely you have a battle on your hands because it is going to be hard to prove. Talk to an attorney, pressure Chrysler. Good luck.

Maybe take it to a different dealer for repair. Unless the current dealer documents you drained the oil yourself to wreck the engine, a different dealer should repair it under warranty.

Once in a while in the winter (with no heated garage) I will have the dealer change oil or rotate tires. They are good guys whom I have dealt with for years. If they screwed up they would probably make it right.

But after they hand me the keys I still check the oil and lugs.

Last edited by Yankee; 09-26-2013 at 04:07 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeeperjkjeeper
this happened to me before I bought my Jeep when I was leasing a Grand Caravan. Got about 3 min. away from the dealership and the oil light went on. Stooped and called them immediately and they basically called me a liar and didn't believe me and told me to drive it back. Had the time on the service receipt and showed them a dry dipstick. They apologized and put oil in and sent me on my way. Approx. 15,000 miles later they replaced the block under warranty due to the bearings being shot. I would get the incident heavily documented for future issues.
From a legal and documentation standpoint this is the way you should of handled it. The way this poster handled the situation gave the dealership no way out and to boot instead of them coming out and towing it in they further added to the damage. This allowed him to get it documented and when the real big issues occurred have it covered by the dealer/manufacturer.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This isn't making sense to me.

The OP was driving and the oil pressure light came on, so he continued to drive until the CEL set, and then continued to drive home. When he got home, he checked the oil, and found that there was no reading on the stick. So, he dumped in a single quart of oil, and then drove the vehicle back to the dealership.

Regardless of what the dealership did or didn't do, when the oil pressure light comes on, the driver needs stop the vehicle and shut off the engine, period (end of story).

I don't know if I'd call the OP "stupid", but it would appear his actions were without critical thinking and may have even lacked good faith in mitigating the problem. "Stupid" would be trying to sue the dealership. In that case, I'm sorry, but "stupid" cannot continue to be a protected class in our society, so honestly, I hope the OP loses his shorts if he tries!

$0.02...
Old 09-26-2013, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

The oil light in a jk (and most new vehicles) should be accompanied by a buzzer and your raido saying "shut your vehicle off now". Someone isn't stupid because they don't know this, just uninformed.

The poor guys engine just got fried and is looking for help. Good thing fellow jeepers are here to rub salt in his wound.

Quick Reply: Dealership problems.