Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Dealer Wants to Buy Back My Wrangler

Old 01-14-2011, 09:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If I get a call asking for a trade in, I'm not so sure I'd want to do it because I'd lose the lifetime warranty. The lifetime warranty is what convinced me to buy it. However, I'm not so sure I have the most faith in the warranty since the dealer informed me "operational seapage."

Can you buy a lifetime warranty? If so, I'd make the trade.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spartan99
If I get a call asking for a trade in, I'm not so sure I'd want to do it because I'd lose the lifetime warranty. The lifetime warranty is what convinced me to buy it. However, I'm not so sure I have the most faith in the warranty since the dealer informed me "operational seapage."

Can you buy a lifetime warranty? If so, I'd make the trade.
I was offered a lifetime warranty to buy when I got my 2010. I turned it down because I figured I'd be voiding it somehow once the mod bug got me.

Let me also add that once you sit in a 2011....it will be difficult not to trade yours in. I sat in one a couple of weeks ago and had tears in my eye at the beautiful new interior (Yes, I am one of "those" people that love the new interior). the heated mirrors almost made me trade in my 2010 on the spot. Glad my senses kicked back in!

Last edited by mpkelley20; 01-14-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer said he would "run the numbers" and never called me back.
He just kept saying he had to "get me in there" (his dealership is an hour away). I told him I needed to know what kind of deal he could give me on a 2011 and he would never give me numbers. No way I am driving an hour for a high-pressure sales pitch.

Oh well. It was fun to think of getting a 2011.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:17 AM
JK Super Freak

I get the same deal for my wifes PT Cruiser, they have a high request for used cars....etc......

All they want is a transaction for a sale
Old 01-17-2011, 10:07 AM
JK Super Freak

They are not buying your used 07 for more than they can/will get for it. They know what they need to pay to make a bit of money off that. They sell you a new one, they get money from you, the manufacturer (moving new ones) and the dealership (sales contest). They set up the financing, they get money from that as well. Some other money to them might be available as well, volume sales for new units and hold back money for example. The hook is getting you in there and getting you out with the same payment that you are asking about. So no harm no foul, except for the extra year you are adding on to your payments. But you get an 11 model.

This is why they are doing it. They make nothing if you don't do anything, they make a ton in many places if you do. I'm one that figures I will be making a car payment most of my life, along with a house payment. So for me, that might not be a bad deal. Except my wife gets the next "new" one, which is a different topic.

In the end, they are really not doing you a favor as much as they are doing it for their benefit.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:38 AM
JK Jedi

Same shit happened to me last year with my 04 CTD Ram 3500. They phoned me and my wife saying they will offer top dollar for well maintained Diesel trucks. They knew how I maintain our vehicles and the next thing they offer $26K for trade-in for my 04 Diesel with 220K km's.

I knew Dodge Ram CTD had a $12K rebate at the time. So, I told them that I get $26K for my trade-in and $12K off the sticker on a 2010 Dodge Ram Diesel. Well, that's where I clued in they were giving me black book and added the $12K onto my trade-in from the rebate...but I would have to pay full price on the new truck! I was glad I held onto my 5.9L Cummins as the 6.7L I have heard horror stories with all the emission shit on them.

Just one word be very leary and check your numbers vs dealer numbers and research all rebates available as they would add these onto your trade-in but no mention them to make it look like you are getting a great trade-in value.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

here's the deal on a lot of this..

1] January is a slow NEW car sales month but usually a decent used car sales month
2] Banks will not loan money to marginal credit customers on New cars but WILL on late model used cars...
3] people always come looking for used wranglers.. therefore a dealer who gets a marginal credit customer looking for a wrangler can charge pretty much whatever he wants for that wrangler because the customer wants it.. so they will mark up a 2009.. sell it for near the cost of a new 2011 streatch the payments out to 60 or 72 months.. and the buyer takes it because he cant get financed for a new one..

the dealer comes looking for you because they know many wrangler owners will buy wrangler again.. yours is used.. he wants it.. figured he can entice you int oa new one... and give you a good deal and still make money on the used..

this summer i traded my 09 unlimited X for a new '10 2 door.. have more options on my new 2 door.. I handed them my 09.. my payments dropped by $125 / month and no money down... I wanted a 2 door auto.. he wanted my 4 door.. it was win-win for me...

-Christopher
Old 01-17-2011, 05:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NebRedrocker
I think 09 is the only year with the lifetime warranty. My 07 didn't have it.
'08 and '09, I believe...
Old 01-17-2011, 05:30 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by NebRedrocker
I think 09 is the only year with the lifetime warranty. My 07 didn't have it.
Some '07s, '08, and "09. And believe it or not, some '06s if they were bought at the right time.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

<------ This guy wants a '11 Rubi

Subscribed -

Quick Reply: Dealer Wants to Buy Back My Wrangler