Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Dealer Wants to Buy Back My Wrangler

Old 01-13-2011, 07:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say do it just go over the numbers like three times and get five free oil changes on top of it
Old 01-13-2011, 07:59 PM
JK Freak

Sounds too good to be true. Read the fine print. If it is true... jump on it! I'd do it!
Old 01-13-2011, 08:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Keepin my fingers crossed so they send me a buy back notice in my mail. Maybe I can get rid of my oil drinking 08 X for a brand new 11 Rubi.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bulletproofjk
Keepin my fingers crossed so they send me a buy back notice in my mail. Maybe I can get rid of my oil drinking 08 X for a brand new 11 Rubi.
That would be nice!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:17 PM
JK Newbie

Tell them to throw in half doors and both tops then sign. By the time you pay your current one off you'll be eying the new ones anyways.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is a normal part of sales. Pull old deal folders, call the customer and use the 'we want to buy your trade' as a way to get a customer in the door.

I worked for one dealer that had a 10 call requirement every day. 10 calls off deal folders, 10 letters (following up previous calls). We also had to call for sale by owner ads from the classifieds. I hated that stuff.

Bottom line: If he can get you into a 2011 with the same payment (an it's not a lease) then it might be worth your time. Personally I'm not a fan of payments and work to get clear of them as quickly as possible. If you trade you'll be signing up for 6 years of payments at least (unless you can pay extras, or pay off early).

Just be careful - dealers that use this type of marketing to get customers in the door tend to be high pressure and will pull all the stops in the process of trying to make a deal. Don't get slammed into a lease (unless you really want one) or get otherwise taken by the ether of the new Jeep smell.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Oh, I forgot to add that I also have the option to purchase via corporate discount at 1% below invoice. I wouldn't bring that up until price is set, though.

Yeah, I refuse to pay out of pocket for this or pay more per month. I am also not going to get a 6yr car loan.
If it adds a year... then ok. More than that and I'm going to walk.
I highly doubt they will be able to meet my requirements, but heck, I'm gonna at least listen to their offer and I might end up with a good deal. At the very least, it's a nice drive through the low country and the scenery is pretty.
lol

Last edited by MagnumD69; 01-14-2011 at 06:36 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is just a marketing trick, I get it all the time with the GTO, a few years back they wanted to put me in a brand new 2009 GTO (They were only made from 2004-2006!)

With the high resale value of the Wrangler it might be a good deal but don't go asking for the same payment, the dealer can modify the term length and get you the same payment.

Look at the factual numbers and make sure you are not getting screwed. 2011 cost - trade in value= true cost.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by goaterguy
This is just a marketing trick, I get it all the time with the GTO, a few years back they wanted to put me in a brand new 2009 GTO (They were only made from 2004-2006!)

With the high resale value of the Wrangler it might be a good deal but don't go asking for the same payment, the dealer can modify the term length and get you the same payment.

Look at the factual numbers and make sure you are not getting screwed. 2011 cost - trade in value= true cost.
Agreed; you are all talking about; 'well if he can get me the same payment, etc, etc'. Keep it simple; What is the cost of the new vehicle; what is the cost of my trade in. Then calculate your payment by yourself. Having the dealer figure it out would be a mistake.

I have an '07 Wrangler with 75,000 miles and I received one of those letters in the mail that said 'We will give you $19,850 for your wrangler jk on a trade in'. I went to the dealer; sat down; showed him the paper and pointed to my Jeep parked outside. I asked him for my trade in value (with paper in hand). He went to his manager and came back with $13,000. These are just simplistic bait and switch techniques to get you into the dealer.

Remember; you are in control; it is your money that is being negotiated. Never answer the question 'how much do you want to pay a month'. That is simply insane to give the dealer that information. I can't emphasis enough to get the price of the new vehicle and price of the trade in. Do not discuss anything else.

Last edited by TheDoubleD; 01-14-2011 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Good advice, thank you.

Quick Reply: Dealer Wants to Buy Back My Wrangler