Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

dealer is making a fake rubi.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds totally shady and uncool in my book.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BaltChief
Maybe it's an Obamacon.....with the govt taking over they may be selling us one thing when in reality they are something else.....

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 06-18-2009, 07:31 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TommyG
If it has a "big X" on it, then the dealer clearly isn't trying to pass it off as a Rubicon. Also, on the manufacturer window sticker it will show it is an X and next to the mfr sticker, there should be another sticker indicating dealer upgrades with a separate price and at the bottom of that sticker will show the new total price for the vehicle. Also, by law, the dealer can't put Rubicon stickers on it so I'm sure it didn't have Rubicon on the hood. If someone walks into the dealer and buys that Jeep thinking he/ she is buying "a slightly cheaper" Rubicon, then that person shouldn't be shopping for vehicles alone because they are obviously too stupid to make a large purchase. Many dealers do this to all types of vehicles to make extra money. A big "dealer upgrade" on cars (not Jeep Wranglers) is pin striping. Another big one is on luxury cars - "the gold package" where they put a chemical on the emblems, that turns all the chrome to a gold color. The most obvious "dealer upgrade" for the Jeep is a lift and/ or bigger tires.
OBVIOUSLY they are trying to pass it off as a rubicon. If they weren't why the hell would they have put on "rubicon" sticker? MOST people who go to buy a jeep don't know EVERYTHING about what comes on each model unless they do a bit of research(which obviously they should do). Regardless, you can expect this more with a private seller or used car dealer, but a certified Jeep dealer? no way! The majority of people are familiar with the name "rubicon" as top of the line wrangler, they don't know it comes with a different transfer case, front axle, lockers, e-disco, etc. These are the dealerships that should be closing!! I've had great experiences with my dealership and now it's closed and I have to drive over an hour away for warranty repairs and such. This is BOLOGNA!
Old 06-18-2009, 07:46 AM
JK Jedi

Does sound shady and potentially illegal to me. I would report it to... to whoever is in charge of things now.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by stlfan06
OBVIOUSLY they are trying to pass it off as a rubicon. If they weren't why the hell would they have put on "rubicon" sticker? MOST people who go to buy a jeep don't know EVERYTHING about what comes on each model unless they do a bit of research(which obviously they should do). Regardless, you can expect this more with a private seller or used car dealer, but a certified Jeep dealer? no way! The majority of people are familiar with the name "rubicon" as top of the line wrangler, they don't know it comes with a different transfer case, front axle, lockers, e-disco, etc. These are the dealerships that should be closing!! I've had great experiences with my dealership and now it's closed and I have to drive over an hour away for warranty repairs and such. This is BOLOGNA!
Yep. Dealer needs to be exposed, the "X" somewhat not as visible as a big RUBICON sticker along the hood. Total BS. It's fraud, the stealership is intentionally deceiving an unknowing customer into purchasing a Jeep that is not what it is advertised, and will cause injury (in this case, present value and future financial injuries) down the road when they go to sell. Today, they may pay a more premium price for the "Rubicon" name, and when they sell down the road, they will not get as much for it because it really is not a "Rubicon".

Douchebaggeryness at it's finest right there.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:56 AM
JK Newbie

I agree that there should be some additional disclosure so the buyer knows for sure that it's an "X" and not a Rubi and they should be told what that will mean at resale/trade in time.

By the way, the manufacturers do it too. I have a Grand Cherokee SRT-8 (in addition to my son's JK X) and when I was at the stealership a while back I saw a 300C with badges on it that, from a few feet away, looked like SRT-8 badges. As I got closer, it saw that it had the SRT wheels and SRT seats inside. But, when I looked at the window sticker I saw that it had the 5.7 HEMI and not the 6.1 HEMI motor in it, so I was like, WTF? Then I looked closer and saw that the badges did not say "SRT-8" but they said "SRT Design" with the "Design" in very small font. I asked about it and was told that Chrysler had produced a limited bunch of those "SRT Design" cars to look just like the SRT-8 but with the smaller engine and less mechanical goodies underneath. The price was cheaper than the real SRT-8 but I felt a bit like it was a scam for someone who didn't really know the difference and that it would "dilute" the value of the true SRT-8 300C and maybe all SRT-8s for that matter. I've only seen one "Design" version on the road and made of point of blowing his doors off at a red light so he would know that his "Design" version was not even close to the real thing. The same thing holds for "replica" Rubis. When one gets stuck in the snow somewhere everyone who sees it will be like, WTF? My son put Rubi decals on his X but he's a kid and they know everything so what can I tell ya, I guess I'm a hipocrate but I told him to take them off if he ever sells it and he said he would. Anyway, thats my $0.02.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:00 AM
JK Super Freak

It's not like the customer is going to get it any cheaper than a "real" Rubicon. Have you seen what the dealers charge for Lifts and tires?
Old 06-18-2009, 07:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

My mistake, I didn't realize they put a rubicon sticker on the hood. I believe that it is illegal for a new car dealer to lie about the model/ grade of a new vehicle. Someone should report this dealer since they are obviously very shady.

Quick Reply: dealer is making a fake rubi.