Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Dealer lied about delivery HELP!!

Old 11-18-2007, 08:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My father was a car saleman and I can tell you they are all liers. You will not get a jeep from another dealership without a trade and if they don't have a jk to trade for another your out of luck. Jks are money makers for them and they won't trade them to other dealerships. They will lose the comission and thats not going to happen. Go online to jeep.com and find a jk near to where you live and go get it. Have the dealership that took you car in trade which is most likely gone and make them give you high bluebook for their screwup. If they refuse sue them .
Old 11-18-2007, 09:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have been dealing with the general manager directly on the the phone and when I went to the dealership. He keeps giving me the run around saying they're trying to work out a vehicle trade for my JK. He pretty much says the contract is not binding because it says "subject to locate" and they've already located 3 trucks for me, but due to inter-dealer issues they can't get me one. Yet my contract has the VIN# on it and that's the only reason I signed it because it was confirmed that it was this specific vehicle.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:58 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never sign anything until you have keys in hand. I've never had to sign anything until the vehicle was there and I was happy with it.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm sorry to hear that you're going through that crap w/the dealer. Same thing happened to me w/my JK.

I went in on a Saturday and bought a 2007 Wrangler X w/all the options that I wanted. The Jeep was located at a dealer in Baltimore. My dealership called them and they said that we can have it. So based on that I signed all paperwork w/vin# and everything and was told that I'd get a call Monday when it was ready for pick up.

Well I do get a call on Monday allright but my salesman told me that the other dealer had sold it over the weekend. I went in pissed as hell. I was told that the reason that it wasn't picked up the same day from Baltimore is that the accounting people at the dealership are off on weekends, and in order for the other dealer to release a vehicle they'd have to give them a check for the value and since nobody was there they waitied until Monday. Well apparently someone had walked in at that dealer in Baltimore and they sold it.

I asked how come they could sell a vehicle that should show in their system already sold to me (my paperwork had the vin#) and was told that since it was a weekend that it hadn't been entered in the system because the Chrysler system doesn't get updated until monday.

Also, the contract that I had with them was not valid until the vehicle was delivered to me (read the fineprint) therefore the contract was void since there is no vehicle to deliver.

Now I have already purchased 2 other vehicles before from the same dealership and same salesperson so they helped me find another Jeep. To begin w/my salesperson (I was there w/him) searched 3798 dealers in the East Coast and we couldn't find what I was looking for. They knew that my TJ (that I had bought from there) had gotten totaled from an accident and that I didn't have a car so they actually gave me a loaner until we found the new Jeep.

Finally about a week and a half later I get a call from my dealer and I was told that there was this Black 4 Door JK just like what I was looking for that was just done being build in Toledo, and I was asked if I wanted it. The only thing was that it had a beige freedom top which they said they'd change w/a black one and no side airbags. The one I had originally bought was about 3thousand cheaper than the new Sahara sitting in Toledo but they did match the price for me.

Then it took about another week and a half or so for them to bring the Jeep from Toledo and the rest is history.

Now as far as your situation goes, I'd go to the dealership and talk to them. They need to understand that they've inconvenienced you. It might now be their fault but they can still help you. I'd start w/the polite way first then if need be switch to asshole mode Have them look for another one (make sure it's what you want though, don't fold under pressure for them to sell you anything they get their hands on) and let them give you a loaner until they fix "their fkup"

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:54 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like your dealer handled the bad situation the way they should have.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tgrt
It sounds like your dealer handled the bad situation the way they should have.
I know I got lucky on that one. I think that if it would have been another dealer they would have told me to get lost, but then like I said this is the 3rd one from the same dealer/same salesperson and I think they knew that if they screwed me over I wouldn't buy another vehicle from them, especially when they know that my dad is thinking of a buying a Grand Cherokee (possibly #4).
Now that being said, I didn't just sit on my a$$ while they found the new one. I called every dealer I could find the # for in my area. And sure enough they either had 4x2's or something that wasn't for me. But I'm really glad it worked out for me....now if only their Service Department came even close to the Sales Team that place would rock.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Henri - that sounds just like my situation.

I may be all set by Tuesday afternoon, and I will report back on what happens. The only bummer is that I wanted stone white with grey interior. Instead I am getting red rock with khaki interior BUT with 1K more in options at no additional cost and taking delivery now, so I guess I win anyway.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah let us know and post a pix of the new Jeep when you get it
Old 11-21-2007, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well, the red truck fell through for unknown reasons, but they found me a Jeep Green one with Gray interior. The general manager has changed his entire tune: He's now very polite to me and sounds like he is trying as hard as he can to find me a vehicle so that they can get rid of me. They said it was going to be delivered to the dealer the next day, but I didn't really believe them until I saw it last night. I told them I would be coming by at 1pm (today) to take delivery. They even called me at 11am today to reconfirm. I showed up at 1pm with my mother and sister (in town for Thanksgiving). They had nothig ready, not even the papers were printed. To make a long story short (too late) 3.5 hours later, I was driving home. My mother was looking around at the other people during the long wait and couldn't determine the difference between customer and salesperson because neither had any idea what they were talking about. It's also the first time buying a new car that they didn't give me a tour and go over how to use all the controls. The salesman went to put on the plates and pulled out a penny from his pocket to use as a screw driver. I grabbed the rear plate from him and put that on myself using my pocket knife to tighten it. I just have to have them install the MyGig (for free) and I'm done with this dealer.

Here is a garage pic to prove it:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8694a.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	4405  
Old 11-21-2007, 05:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jamooche
Here is a garage pic to prove it:
Well, at least you can still say that you have a sweet looking Jeep...

Quick Reply: Dealer lied about delivery HELP!!