Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Dealer gave me one Key??

Old 01-10-2009, 02:06 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by robs07sahara
... I personally dont trust those aftermarket keys. I would only but a mopar key. ...
My Rock Key has been in daily service since early '07, and cost me less than one-third what my dealership was asking for a Mopar key.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 01-10-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:10 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

I think thats a little extreme. No dealer should give you a hard time on having 2 keys on a new vehicle. You should never have to take it that far.
No you shouldn't. Let's hope that my first suggestion to contact Chrysler, which you didn't include in the quote, works. If not, then it's gone that far. It's either take aggressive action or OP must pony up for a second key. That's wrong.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 01-10-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
No you shouldn't. Let's hope that my first suggestion to contact Chrysler, which you didn't include in the quote, works. If not, then it's gone that far. It's either take aggressive action or OP must pony up for a second key. That's wrong.
The jeep is used. So its a lose lose situation. Once a vehicle is bought used it has nothing to do with chrysler, even though its a chrysler product.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:49 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

The jeep is used. So its a lose lose situation. Once a vehicle is bought used it has nothing to do with chrysler, even though its a chrysler product.
Of course it doesn't. And in my post I said that he should take certain actions if this was a new vehicle. I never did see where OOC-07Rubi said that himself. Perhaps I overlooked it, or perhaps you saw it in another thread. Anyway, as you say, he's at the whim of a dealer. Best option: Find the dealer with the best price--it can vary widely. If he wants the Rock Key, check and ensure the dealer will let him bring his own key blank in for programming.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:13 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by OOC-07Rubi
The Rubi was a USED one.

i'm just going to order this new transponder key, get it cut at walmart then bring it over to the stealership to program it. i hope its not going to cost me an arm and a leg.

thanks all for the great responses. i still like the idea of calling the State congress man, the cherysler corp, the lawyer and ect.. little extreme but sounds cool.
Check a few places on e-bay before taking the plunge. I got 2 keys shipped to Canada for $35. Try searching 'wrangler transponder key' for your model year.

Strattec is the manufacturer of original equipment and aftermarket keys which are identical except the name molded into the vinyl.

I took mine to a reputable key place for cutting cause wally world won't take responsibility for a bad cut if you didn't buy the blank there.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased a strattec one with the Jeep logo molded in it in 04 for my TJ. lasted 3 years until the Jeep's demise. It cost 20 bucks at that time. Dealer here was 80. At the time I had two factory keys so I could "program" the car for the new key for free.

I bought one for the first JK a year and a half ago. Only used it a few times but it works perfectly. I will be buying one for the new JK also.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=OOC-07Rubi;880890]The Rubi was a USED one.

Then you are getting pissed for nothing they don't owe you a second key unless they put it in writing.
I'm sure you read the sticker that has the label "AS-IS" right?

Last edited by southbaydog; 01-12-2009 at 04:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Dealer gave me one Key??