Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Dealer gave me one Key??

Old 01-08-2009, 07:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by robs07sahara
Did you buy your jeep new or used.
That's the key question. If you bought it new then you should go back there and demand another one. If used, they don't have to give you one. Many times trade ins and auction cars only come with one key.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Atl JK
That's the key question. If you bought it new then you should go back there and demand another one. If used, they don't have to give you one. Many times trade ins and auction cars only come with one key.
EXACTALLY!!!!!! I work at a jeep dealer, it happens everyday
Old 01-09-2009, 06:14 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by OOC-07Rubi
Anyway, on 4WD website they sell the blank gray transponder key for $21. Should i take it to the same dealer that sold me the Rubi or should i take it to another chrysler/jeep dealer?
When I was going through getting a third key, I visited the local Chrysler (non-Jeep) dealer. He offered to program it for $65. My key, already cut, he'll charge to program. Anyway, check around and find the cheapest place.

But, as others are saying, if you bought the vehicle new, they owe you the second key. This is a theft potential. Contact Chrysler and tell them you want the second key that you've already paid for. Let them deal with the dealership.

BTW: If this is a new vehicle, the dealer will be subject to your review on a letter Chrysler will send to you. If you do talk to the dealer, let them know that you will excoriate them if they don't deliver what you paid for. Also, contact the Federal Trade Commission--send them a letter and send an info copy to your state Attorney General and to the dealer. Again, only if this is a new vehicle.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

BTW: If this is a new vehicle, the dealer will be subject to your review on a letter Chrysler will send to you. If you do talk to the dealer, let them know that you will excoriate them if they don't deliver what you paid for. Also, contact the Federal Trade Commission--send them a letter and send an info copy to your state Attorney General and to the dealer. Again, only if this is a new vehicle.[/QUOTE]

I think thats a little extreme. No dealer should give you a hard time on having 2 keys on a new vehicle. You should never have to take it that far.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. Save the aggressive route for later. You might need it.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

The Rubi was a USED one.

i'm just going to order this new transponder key, get it cut at walmart then bring it over to the stealership to program it. i hope its not going to cost me an arm and a leg.

thanks all for the great responses. i still like the idea of calling the State congress man, the cherysler corp, the lawyer and ect.. little extreme but sounds cool.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:42 AM
JK Newbie

for those that have successfully duplicated transponder keys with keyless entry buttons.....is the keyless entry part also programmed by doing the procedure in the owner's manual? or does the keyless entry part still need dealer involvement for programming?
Old 01-09-2009, 12:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Every key needs to be programmed at the dealership. I personally dont trust those aftermarket keys. I would only but a mopar key.

Do you have keyless entry?
Old 01-09-2009, 01:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

no i donot have the keyless entry but its chipped. the one they sell at 4WD hardware looks like a rock and they are chipped but just need to be programmed. is this doable?
Old 01-10-2009, 05:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes its doable. Its what we call a sentry key. They will probably charge you between 40-60 to program it. We change a half hour of flat rate at 99.99 per hour. So its around 50.00 at my dealership.

Quick Reply: Dealer gave me one Key??