Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Dealer gave me one Key??

Old 01-08-2009, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Dealer gave me one Key??

So i too was fooled by the Stealership when i bought my Rubi.
i found a transponder key sold my 4WD Hardware (gray/agate color) and was wondering if this is the right key. the P/N: is Y160R.

what do i have to do to get it to work?

Please help.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by OOC-07Rubi
So i too was fooled by the Stealership when i bought my Rubi.
i found a transponder key sold my 4WD Hardware (gray/agate color) and was wondering if this is the right key. the P/N: is Y160R.

what do i have to do to get it to work?

Please help.
Your sentence is confusing, maybe just to me, think it was just a little grammar jumbling but bottom line they owe you two keys, have no idea what you meant by finding a transponder key (I know what that is) and selling 4WD Hardware...
Old 01-08-2009, 11:47 AM
JK Freak

Go back and get the other key, if they dont have another, tell them to make you another. There is no reason why you shouldnt have two keys.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 08SaharaM6
Go back and get the other key, if they dont have another, tell them to make you another. There is no reason why you shouldnt have two keys.
x2. This is a small thing for them to do. I believe you can program your own key, but I think you need two programmed keys in order to do so. (Someone can correct me if I'm wrong about that.)
Old 01-08-2009, 01:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you only have one key, the dealer has to program the second with the vehicle with a tool they plug into it. If you have two keys, you can "program" your own according to the procedure in the manual. A transponder key is what the JK uses. the grey headed ones. You can buy blank transponder keys on ebay for 1/4 the price of the dealer.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:50 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

As others have said, go back to the dealer and get the other key. It is true that you cannot make a new key for any JK without having two keys (or at least one that will start the vehicle and keep it running)--unless you're the dealer. And they typically charge $60-200 for the service.

As for programming a new key: Check your owner's manual. The procedure in there was mostly correct for the 2007 model year when I did mine. A couple beeps did not occur at the right places, but I was successful in getting the key programmed once I bought the correct blank. Be certain you get the right blank--but that's what you originally asked about. My recommendation: Order it online. Then make a third key because when you lose one of the other two keys, you'll need that key to make a replacement yourself (and avoid the dealership fee).
Old 01-08-2009, 05:51 PM
JK Freak

I just have 2 keys and need a third. It's just a matter of time before i lose one. I want a rock key like yours mark. where did you order yours?
Old 01-08-2009, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry for the confusing thread.

talked to the dealer today again and they won't give me a key. i'm about to choke that m***f**** that sold me the Rubi. As soon as they sell you a car, they don't know you and they don't want anything to do with you. F***&#$.

Anyway, on 4WD website they sell the blank gray transponder key for $21. Should i take it to the same dealer that sold me the Rubi or should i take it to another chrysler/jeep dealer?

thanks all.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did you buy your jeep new or used. Cause if it was used, technically they dont have to give you 2. And if its a key with keyless entry, we sell them for roughly 200.00 programmed. If its just a sentry key with no buttons, it shouldnt run you no more than 50.00 programmed.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:02 PM
JK Junkie

How long ago did you buy your jeep?......the dealer will not want to incur the cost, so they play dumb.....I would go back to your salesman and give him the gears...if he/she has any morals or respect they should get it sorted for you......if you have to get pissed, do it, and demand the manager.....Tell them you just spend $XXXXX of cash on a new vehicle and this is the service I get?....I would not leave without a new key in hand.....

I will add as long as the vehicle is new.....cause if it is not, sometimes they don't get the second key....

Last edited by 07rubisteve; 01-08-2009 at 07:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Dealer gave me one Key??