Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Daystar has the worst customer service I've ever dealt with

Old 03-29-2014, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Daystar has the worst customer service I've ever dealt with

Not sure if I'm posting this in the correct spot. Mods, please accept my apologies and move if not...

Here are my recent dealings with Daystar. I am beyond displeased with the lack of professionalism and customer service I have received with Ted Storms (whom I am told is no longer employed with them) and Kelly Herring. Let me preface this by saying I work in the oilfield in remote areas for 2-6+ weeks at a time. Most of the time my only means of communication is through satellite Wi-Fi. For that reason, email is my preferred outlet. The employees I dealt with could not understand that though told several times. I realize you get what you pay for and the price seemed right at the time. I was buying American, had to be a great product from a stand up company, right? ?

Jan. 21, 2014 I emailed Daystar through a link found on their website to inquire about the warranty on my sagging lift.

"Hi, I currently run your Daystar 3" Comfort Ride kit on my 2007 Jeep Wrangler JKU. I haven't had it on for long and it's started to sag pretty bad. When I installed it the Jeep had a nice stance and sat fairly level. Now it's nose diving and doesn't really look like it's lifted anymore, [like] I just leveled it and crammed tires under it. It's mostly a pavement pounder and doesn't see much offroad use. It's not beefed up with winches or heavy bumpers or armor or anything that would weigh it down. I love your products especially the hood wranglers and the upper dash panel. I just need to see what options I have to fix the my issue. Thanks for your time."

I went on to include my vehicle info, address, and name.

The next morning, Jan 22, I received this from Mr. Ted Storms

"Handled"

Nothing more, nothing less.

On Feb 1 and Feb 5 I sent Mr. Storms the same email as follows,

"Any way I can get an update on the progress of this? Your email left a lot to the imagination."

(No response for 2 weeks)
On the 5th Mr. Storms responded.

"Hello Nathan, can you call me please. If you can send me before and after pics so we can see exactly what is going on. Thanks,Ted."

I replied same day

"We've went from 'handled' to 'before and after pics'?"

Another email by me to Ted that day

" I'm in New Mexico right now. I'll call you when I get back to my Jeep in Texas. I can take after photos but I'll have to see if I can find any [pre] lift pics. I'm a little confused how we were "handled" on the 21st but not now."

No reply for 7 days.
On Feb 13th I sent Mr. Storms pictures, which I didn't upload here due to available space. This is the text that accompanied pictures.

" I'm not sure how much you'll be able to tell from the pictures but here they are.

The first picture shows the Jeep as it sits now with your lift and a TerraFlex leveling spacer I put in before I contacted you to combat the extreme sag in the front end. 315/70r17 (35x12.5)

The second picture is the oldest I have with the lift without the TerraFlex kit and 325/70r17 (36x13) with no rubbing and no issues.

The third shows my swaybar and endlinks. When originally installed the swaybar was level and the adjustable links were let out, now it's no longer level even after running the end links all the way in.

The fourth shows the TerraFlex leveling spacer compensating for the sagging Daystar kit.

The fifth shows where my 35x12.50x17 rubs my rock rail on bumps on the highway, something my 36x13.00x17 tires did not do."

If memory serves me properly sometime between Feb. 13 and Feb. 26 I expressed my displeasure on Daystar's FB page where they were trying to get a contest going to give people stickers. I suggested they work on customer service before begging customers to rock their stickers. I do not have the text available for that but if Daystar would like to post a screen shot I wouldn't object. The reply stated Kelly tried to call me. I don't understand why the fact that due to work email works best.

Feb. 26 I sent this email reminding that email is my means of communication.

"Just checking in, I haven't forgotten about you. I've been out of town on business and haven't had much chance to call. I'll call when I get back. Email correspondence is fine with me also."

Feb. 26 I get a reply from Ted (first in 13 days)

"Hey Nathan, If you can keep in contact via phone that might wk best. Kelly has tried calling you and has left at least 1 message regarding the lift. If you call talk to Kelly Herring his number is 623-907-0081 ext#458 and his email is kherring@daystarweb.com.he will be assisting you in the future. Thanks,Ted."

I then sent the same email to Kelly Herring, same day. No reply.

March 3rd I once again initiated contact.

"Still in the middle of the oil patch. Cell service is nearly nonexistent. Email is my only means of communication, I'd like to get the ball moving on this situation. Is Daystar going to replace my sagging lift or do I need to order from another company?"

AGAIN NO REPLY!!

March 11th and I'm really getting fed up. I emailed Kelly Herring.

"Please reply with the name of your supervisor. After giving ample opportunity for someone to contact me via email, as I have asked several times, I feel it is time to move to the next step."

That got a response from Kelly (after 13 days). Mar. 11

" Nathan,

Sorry for the delay’s in response. I know you were working with Ted on this situation, Ted is no longer with us. If I recall you had our three inch kit and thought that the spacer was collapsing. I did not know where Ted left off with this. I can offer you this, if the spacer itself had failed then I will replace the spacer at no charge to you. I had seen the pictures of the of the Spacer and the Teraflex Spacer you added as well. From the pictures the Daystar spacer is not failing. I would look at the springs on the vehicle. If you use the vehicle Offroad, if you’re out flexing the suspension etc the springs will over time fatigue.

As I stated I can send you a new spacer out but I don’t think this is going to be your problem.

As always you can contact me directly on my cell @ 623 628 1650

Thanks,

Kelly."

Mar. 11, my reply.

" It's 2wd, which can be seen from the photos. With the exception of the hill in my default google picture, prelift and 100% stock, the most offroading it does is driving through a pasture at my dad's. I feel the spacer has compressed resulting in the sag I am seeing, it's the only component that could be failing. Much of my frustration with this company could have been avoided with return emails from you. I have a very bad taste in my mouth with daystar. I'm not even sure at this point I want the product on my vehicle any longer based on the level of customer service I have been provided with."

Mar 11. Kelly's reply.

"His name is Mark Turner.

But let me ask you this…The Pre-Lift is that the Teraflex part that is on the vehicle?

Kelly."

My response was mistakenly saved as a draft and not sent until Mar. 17

" I'm not sure what you are getting at. The only picture I can think of that you may be referring to is my old Gmail account photo that shows the rear of a 100% stock 3 month old *2wd* Jeep climbing a hill on the side of a canal. So again, no, there was no TerraFlex spacer on the Jeep. I'm honestly just tired of messing with this. Please send new poly spacers. I feel the fronts and rears are sagging as I feel I indicated in the photos. Whether it solves the issue or not, I assure you that you won't hear from me again.

It's a Daystar 3" Comfort Ride for 2007 JKU"

I again provided my name and address at the end of my email.

Once again no reply until I initiated contact again on Mar. 19th. (8 days with no reply)

"Are we on the same page?"

Same day, Kelly replied,

" I'll send two new fronts what's your address? I will need the ones on the jeep back"

Same day, I replied, in two emails

"My address was in my last emails. You sending a shipping label?"

" My pictures also show the rear tires making contact with the sliders as well."

At this time that is the last correspondence between myself and Daystar and short of a miracle, could likely be the last, sans an attempt at sending a copy of this to Mr. Turner via an email I guessed at being that it was not provided. I hope customer service and public relations is not Kelly Herring's position with Daystar. If so, I would suggest another career. I posted this to hopefully prevent others from making the same mistake I did.

Last edited by TYDFAN; 03-29-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Either my email or my post has apparently sparked Daystar's interest in this matter. Maybe I'm giving myself too much credit but hours after posting I have received texts from Kelly. Still no emails which I have time and time again requested due to work.

Mar 29th, 10 days since my last contact with anyone at Daystar via text,

Kelly: "This is Kelly with Daystar, I want to follow and see if you received those spacers yet!"

Me: "No. I haven't gotten anything. No parts, no return email to my last two sent, no tracking information. Nothing, but that seems to be the norm. I'm in a safety meeting. As I've said numerous times, signal is scarce in the field, email is my best line of communication."

Kelly: "I know the order is In I am sending the front and rear spacers. Monday I will get you a tracking number if they left, if they have not I will overnight them."

Me: "So in other words you knew I haven't received them because they haven't been shipped yet?"

Kelly: "That is not what I said, I know the order is placed, I will check Monday to see if the shipped, which if they did I will get you a tracking number. If they have not I will get them over nighted to you."

Now, maybe I'm over thinking it but this feels like a countermeasure at damage control. 10 days since contact and suddenly the order is in but may not have shipped yet?? It's my thoughts the order was put in today, and won't ship until Monday for obvious reasons. While I appreciate the fact that they are willing to overnight, it doesn't make up for the past 2 months of run around and horrible customer relations. This is not how I would expect a business in the USA to be ran.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

x2 - Assuming I can avoid it, I'll never buy anything from Daystar ever again. Every piece of Daystar I have put on my Jeep has been thrown away, only 1 piece hasnt broken or actually worked correctly and I replaced it because I didnt want their products in my Jeep, especially with a giant "Daystar" logo in the middle of it.

I ordered my Daystar parts from Northridge and wrongly thought there was an issue with Northridge getting me the parts so I reached out to them... unfortunately they were waiting for Daystar to drop ship the part to me... but Northridge called them and were able to get the parts shipped to me.

best of luck with your parts...

Last edited by Surinam; 03-29-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've found Nortgridge to be a stand up company and have not ever hesitated to call them for anything. They have always exceded my expectations. I figured it was better to contact Daystar directly and cut out the middle man.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2014, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Email from Kelly this morning, as promised...

"Nathan,

I am sending your spacers today.* You will have them tomorrow, I will send you a tracking number this afternoon after they shipped.
Keep me posted on the outcome, if you need anything else let me know.

Thanks,

Kelly."

Old 03-31-2014, 09:38 AM
JK Freak

always irritating when companies take their customers for granted...hopefully they'll learn or they'll fail, either one is fine with me.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

I received tracking info @ roughly 4:30 pm CST. Glad this is finally being handled. I hate it came to this.

"Nathan,

Here is the tracking for the front and rear spacers for your JK.

1z******************* UPS NDA

Don’t worry about the old spacers.* I don’t need them back.

As stated before if you need anything else let me know!

Thanks,

Kelly."

At this time the tracking number isn't working but I will give it time to enter UPS's system. I trust they were shipped.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought all Daystar sold were lift spacers? Sounds like your coils are sagging which would have nothing to do with Daystar
Old 03-31-2014, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grimmjpr
I thought all Daystar sold were lift spacers? Sounds like your coils are sagging which would have nothing to do with Daystar
The post was long, maybe you didn't read it. It's not the product I'm unhappy with. I understand spring compress over time and that could very well be a factor. That's not the issue. It's the customer service. I feel had you read the full post, that would be evident. In fact, had they said they just weren't going to warranty them, I'd have been upset but no one would have ever heard about it. I would have replaced with coils, thrown the Daystar in the trash and gone about my business. I bought it knowing it was temporary but it had a warranty so I felt confident if I had issues, they would be easily resolved. Coils are on the list, following the axle conversion and lockers.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

UPS dropped the box on my porch yesterday morning. 4 3" spacers inside. I received just what I was promised. Thank you Daystar for finally coming through. I just regret ot had to come to this point.

Quick Reply: Daystar has the worst customer service I've ever dealt with