Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Dashboard Storage solution

Old 12-25-2008, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok...Ok....but at least when I finally decide to buy something like the Daystar unit, I can still pull this off and use it for my pens and pencils at work.

By the way.....how do you get the link to appear in your profile to the left that points to your "my project JK" page. I finally got one set up so I can keep track of my mod's, but not sure how to display the link in my profile.

Thanks for the .....ahem.... comment
Old 12-25-2008, 11:57 AM
JK Newbie

JeffD,
not the answer you are looking for, but... You can fold your sun glasses and set them around the tweeters. There is just enough space for them and your passenger can set theirs on their side. It is almost as if they were designed for glasses
Old 12-25-2008, 02:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks....but those are my wifes sunglasses (normally kept in her car). I am blind as a bat and thus use a set of clip on's for my coke bottle bottoms....they would NOT stay on the dash in any position (nor on the console, and I kept smashing them with my 32 oz soda when I put them in the cup holders).

Thanks for the point out though. Mine are actually in the glasses case next to the sunglasses.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

So how did you end up sticking that up there?
Old 12-25-2008, 03:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

I found some hard rubber grommets/gaskets (probably kitchen sink seals or something) to put on the back feet to level it. I messed with sticky tape backed stuff, but they just didn't work on the dash. Neither did velcro. In the end, I used black RTV and just a small drop on each foot. Placed it on the dash, put a book on it and let it dry overnight.

It has been on for a month or two now and our unplowed snow roads are rougher than a corn cob, and it is still stuck tight. Yet if I don't like it, the RTV should come right off with a blade and easily restore the original top.

Working well so far.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeffD
I found some hard rubber grommets/gaskets (probably kitchen sink seals or something) to put on the back feet to level it. I messed with sticky tape backed stuff, but they just didn't work on the dash. Neither did velcro. In the end, I used black RTV and just a small drop on each foot. Placed it on the dash, put a book on it and let it dry overnight.

It has been on for a month or two now and our unplowed snow roads are rougher than a corn cob, and it is still stuck tight. Yet if I don't like it, the RTV should come right off with a blade and easily restore the original top.

Working well so far.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is RTV?
Old 12-25-2008, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Silicone....like you use on engine gaskets and such....or...to seal your bathroom tub and shower, or....... It is mostly a sealer, but is a pliable/soft adhesive too, so it sticks but usually is removable without a lot of effort. RTV (can't remember what that means right now) is the stuff used in automotive applications and is more heat resistant. My tube was used to seal up some valve cover gaskets on an old Cougar V8 I had once.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

After doing a very small amount of homework I found that RTV stands for Room Temperature Vuclanization. But like you said, silicone

Quick Reply: Dashboard Storage solution