Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Dash replacement, anybody done it?

Old 03-13-2016, 04:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dash replacement, anybody done it?

Looking for threads on updating the older dash to a newer style. Found a great 2008 with all the right stuff done to it, but I would really like the newer interior pieces.

Searched and couldn't find anyone who has done it. Anybody seen any info?

Thanks.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen it discussed, but never seen it done. My questions would be why? I would have to image that it would be extremely expensive. I guess you could find a few totaled JKs to cannibalize... Even then, is the instrument cluster even compatible? It seems like it could be a seemingly easy project, only to turn into a hellish nightmare.

If your really turned off by the interior, I'd recommend holding off and buying a later model.

But if you do take up the challenge, I'd love to see it!
Old 03-13-2016, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

There's a guy who redid the interior and exterior of his jeep to move to the new style. He painted the truck crush orange and did half doors with the 10a hood- I just can't come up with the name now.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Have been watching ebay for awhile looking for wrecked late models, have seen some go for $10k ish, most pretty beat, most with airbags deployed (but not all). Was thinking about buying one of these, taking the interior out and parting the rest. Maybe able to do the change for a couple of $K net if you bought and parted the right one.

The '08 I was looking at was a very clean Hemi w/prorock etc. Is pretty nice (pretty expensive), but old style interior and then again it is not what I built. On the plus side this '08 is done and appears done correct and ready to go.

Have been planning a '16 JK sport build with dynatrac xc60's, eight lug beadlocks and 37's. Sometimes the lightly used, already done option seems a whole bunch easier.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sdhexpert
Have been watching ebay for awhile looking for wrecked late models, have seen some go for $10k ish, most pretty beat, most with airbags deployed (but not all). Was thinking about buying one of these, taking the interior out and parting the rest. Maybe able to do the change for a couple of $K net if you bought and parted the right one. The '08 I was looking at was a very clean Hemi w/prorock etc. Is pretty nice (pretty expensive), but old style interior and then again it is not what I built. On the plus side this '08 is done and appears done correct and ready to go. Have been planning a '16 JK sport build with dynatrac xc60's, eight lug beadlocks and 37's. Sometimes the lightly used, already done option seems a whole bunch easier.
Yes, but easier is rarely better. I understand the Hemi draw, but personally I'd go for the '16 and make it my own. I'd love to see how an interior swap would work, I just wouldn't be willing to do it.

Good luck bro. -- James
Old 03-13-2016, 05:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably easiest to put the interior from the '11 in as it came with the same 3.8 engine and may be an easier go - if you need the whole ECU/harness it should still work with your setup.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
Probably easiest to put the interior from the '11 in as it came with the same 3.8 engine and may be an easier go - if you need the whole ECU/harness it should still work with your setup.
Good point, hadn't considered that.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know I've seen a thread with pictures while back, but I can't find it...

Quick Reply: Dash replacement, anybody done it?