Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

danger! help!!!!

Old 11-08-2008, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree! When it comes to the safety of you and your passengers, especially if it just locks up on you, I wouldn't hesitate to just take it in and bite the bullet on a repair ticket. If anything, you don't have to let the shop do the work, they can diagnose it, and if you think you can repair it at home for cheaper then go that route.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

It is unbelievable that something so serious is happening to a number of jeep owners and yet there is no recall or known fix.????????
Old 11-08-2008, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default diagnosis complete!! read

ok I FOUND THE ISSUE! Yes I went over everything today and it wasnt any bolts nor was it death wobble. this is what it is.... On the passenger side of my Jeep, right behind the sterring stabalizer and trackbar bracket - where its welded to the axle........THE WELDS BROKE TO AXLE!! NO WONDER I HAD NO STEERING. I CAN BEILEVE THIS EVERY HAPPENED I WAS DOING NORMAL WHEELING. well it did. now I wonder did it come with any side effects like bending tierods or s=alignment . Im going to weld it back on the axle then add a support bracket for safety hso it doesnt happen again. CHECK YOUR AXLE WELS TO STEERING STAB BRACKET. I DROVE HOME LAST NIGHT WITH NO STEERING TRACK BAR , AND ESP MUST BE LOCKING BRAKES TO COMPENSATE. THANKS BE TO GOD I MADE IT HOME.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:27 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Superman1023
ok I FOUND THE ISSUE! Yes I went over everything today and it wasnt any bolts nor was it death wobble. this is what it is.... On the passenger side of my Jeep, right behind the sterring stabalizer and trackbar bracket - where its welded to the axle........THE WELDS BROKE TO AXLE!! NO WONDER I HAD NO STEERING. I CAN BEILEVE THIS EVERY HAPPENED I WAS DOING NORMAL WHEELING. well it did. now I wonder did it come with any side effects like bending tierods or s=alignment . Im going to weld it back on the axle then add a support bracket for safety hso it doesnt happen again. CHECK YOUR AXLE WELS TO STEERING STAB BRACKET. I DROVE HOME LAST NIGHT WITH NO STEERING TRACK BAR , AND ESP MUST BE LOCKING BRAKES TO COMPENSATE. THANKS BE TO GOD I MADE IT HOME.
Were you using a trackbar relocation bracket on the axle end?
Old 11-08-2008, 09:29 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Candlemuse
It is unbelievable that something so serious is happening to a number of jeep owners and yet there is no recall or known fix.????????
Most of the time death wobble is from a loose bolt on the suspension. This is usually caused from wheeling or improper torqueing after a lift install. How is the factory supposed to recall that?
Old 11-08-2008, 09:32 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Candlemuse
These are modified Jeeps that this is happening to. I believe there have been a few cases of this bracket breaking mentioned here on JK-Forum, so a search will probably prove revealing to Superman1023.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 11-08-2008 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bly109
Most of the time death wobble is from a loose bolt on the suspension. This is usually caused from wheeling or improper torqueing after a lift install. How is the factory supposed to recall that?
Thanks

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
These are modified Jeeps that this is happening to. I believe there have been a few cases of this bracket breaking mentioned here on JK-Forum, so a search will probably prove revealing to Superman1023.
Thanks , I am new to jeep and I am not as knowledgeable as you guys , and I apologize to the OP for interrupting his thread .
Old 11-08-2008, 11:12 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly, this is not a Jeep issue it's an aftermarket issue. It's a price we pay for modifying our vehicles especially when we do so in a "budget" sensitive manner. Even with the higher priced "complete" kits you are not out of the woods.

The issue with the broken track bar mount is well documented here and elsewhere. The problem is basic physics as you basically amplify the leverage on the mount.

At any rate, I'm glad you found the problem. I would advise you to get everything checked out to make sure nothing else was damaged by driving for awhile without the trackbar connected.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks everyone!! I fixed it all back to norman. It was indeed the trackbar relocation bracket b ut the part that broke was the factory metal that is welded to the axle. The welds didnt break but the metal looks like someone took a plasma cutter to it. Indeed the upward pressure by relcoating it is what caused it and the factory intended the steering stab. to be mounted on the downside not the top. Mabye an adjustable track bar mounted from the oe location would help, nonetheless, the factory metal should have been a lot stronger then what they used regardless of a lift application. evrything else seems fine. Ive also added a support corss bracket that puts downward pressue on the axle next to the coil to keep the t.b.reloc. braclet in place in case the welds would break. We all should look at doing something to reinforce this area as I was only wheeling in first and 2nd low ranger in my Rubi. Obviously soemthin needs to be adressed in reguards to support or reinforcement. good luck everyone.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:56 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Superman1023
thanks everyone!! I fixed it all back to norman. It was indeed the trackbar relocation bracket b ut the part that broke was the factory metal that is welded to the axle. The welds didnt break but the metal looks like someone took a plasma cutter to it. Indeed the upward pressure by relcoating it is what caused it and the factory intended the steering stab. to be mounted on the downside not the top. Mabye an adjustable track bar mounted from the oe location would help, nonetheless, the factory metal should have been a lot stronger then what they used regardless of a lift application. evrything else seems fine. Ive also added a support corss bracket that puts downward pressue on the axle next to the coil to keep the t.b.reloc. braclet in place in case the welds would break. We all should look at doing something to reinforce this area as I was only wheeling in first and 2nd low ranger in my Rubi. Obviously soemthin needs to be adressed in reguards to support or reinforcement. good luck everyone.
Im glad you got it fixed. This is a very common problem when using a relocation bracket on the axle side that doesnt reinforce the bracket. There have been lots of cases on here just like yours. Most people were using a skyjacker bracket. Do a search, you will be suprised how many threads you find.

Quick Reply: danger! help!!!!