Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

danger! help!!!!

Old 11-07-2008, 09:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default danger! help!!!!

ok I hope this never happens to anyone while driving but read this story. I just got home from wheeling a couple hours everything was great. I finishedmy off road triop aND AS SOON AS I got to the main paved road something very scary happened!!!!!! I found my sterring wheel startin g to shimmy back and fourth and before i KNEW IT MY FRONT TIRES STERRING AND BRAKES AND POSSIBLE AXLE ALL WENT CRAZY. I mean the tires litterally throwing left and righ back and fourth with out my control and skiding to a stop. no control over steering or anything litterally soemthing is almost ripping the wheels off the axle hub! i dont know what Ive checked everything my alignments off now my bas might back on steering is strange and I had to drive home 10 mph for over an hour !!! scary!! driving home on pavemont it "locked up" sp to speak again about 10 times when it does I had to slam brakes on to stop or it would probably rip my wheel and tire right off the axle. so WHAT THE HELL IS IT? alxe lockers engaging, abs frweaking out, esp?, 4wd? steEring arm, .....anybody can help let me know. send me a pm asap. Im going to try tio fix it tomarrow morning and take it for an alignment but I ghave to figure out what to fix firdt! help! IT JUST SEEMS TO THROW THE TIRES IN OPPOSITE DIRECTION AND THE STEERING DOESNT KNOW WHAT TO DO THEN THE BRAKES LOCKED UP I THINK or mabye thats just the rubber sqealing because it scraping the tires in oppsite directions .
Old 11-07-2008, 09:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Death Wobble

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/just-cant-shake-death-wobble-57137/
Old 11-07-2008, 09:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks but I dont think thats it. You see I HAVE TO STOP it locks up at 10 mph aosometimes 15 and if i dont help it stop I fear my tires will rip off. you hear a loud squeal like if you slamed your brakes on on 50 and stop on a dime but its oing it at 15.../????? I dont know Im think my front locker is engageing somehow in 2wd sparatically? is that even possible? also my sterring wheel alignment is out of whack all of a sudden I dont understand everything was oerfect on second then the next like my tires are towed out in oposite directions and locking up at it own will? any ideas??
Old 11-07-2008, 09:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

might have a theory..... the only out of place from being perfect is my STEERING DRAGLINK BOOT which ripped during lift install (the part attached to pitman arm) if that dried up or got mud and dirt in it could THAT be causing that steering to lock up and go crazy??
Old 11-07-2008, 09:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

I dont get it...if "dw" is what it Is how would you surive al these people I mean that are having it at 30+ It stops me in traffic at 15 with no warning just lkocks my front end up. if you skidded at 35 like that who knows what would happen some one d=could drive right into you? does anyone really thinkits death wobble I hear somehting scarping in my wheel hub or brakes going real slow. I think ill go tak =e my wheels off and to see whats up...again any agrees with the draglink out of grease or the abs needing reset?
Old 11-07-2008, 09:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

DW is all about, it is a situation where the front axle begins oscillating with such violence that control of the Jeep is difficult until slowed down, and the entire vehicle shakes to the point you feel it will come apart" well have to admit that sounds like it dead on the nail head .... well I just cant imagine this happening to someone going faster than 15 mph and them surviving.! im thinks the hardcore off roading I was doing caused my alignment to go out, and after that the sterring sensed it and now it so f***ed up the align ment that it keeps building energy then releasing it. plus mabye a tierod got bent or something. I cant believe this is happening! any more ideas from anyone?
Old 11-07-2008, 10:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

one reason Im doubting the dw idea is becasue some ppl claim they deal with it or they start feelling it or it goes away. THAT IS NOTHING like whats happening here Ill be driving and it go fo=rom 15 or 25 to a complete stop in less than 2 seconds. very scary no warning or anything....Im going to go aorund and tighten all bolts in t=suspension control arms track bnars, rotate tires, check stabalizer, check ball joints and get an alignment tomrrow if I get there that far......Im sure Ill figure it out other hthing I wonder if theres mud jammed in my brake somehow?
Old 11-08-2008, 03:06 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

The very first thing I'd do, if I were in your shoes, would be to check very thoroughly underneath for a damaged component--bent track bar, control arms, etc. Something like trail damage, since you were off-road, might explain why you're experiencing more severe symptoms.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

It seems to me the ESP is kicking in. If you steering wheel is not centered when driving straight the computer will think you are sliding and try to stop the skid.

I would start by checking everything for damage. Like was said, the tierod ends, sway bar, anything out of the ordinary. Paying very close attention to the ABS sensors in the hubs and make sure the wires weren't damaged wheeling.

Then I would take it to a good alignment shop and have it aligned and the steering wheel recentered. Hopefully that will fix you problem.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Get thee to a strong front-end shop!

I don't know if you're under warranty, but if you're dealer's solid, give them first crack. Sounds like something serious is going on south of the body pan, and trying to diagnose it online could just proling your issues.

Quick Reply: danger! help!!!!