Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

daily driving with swaybar disconnected.............

Old 04-18-2010, 07:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldn't imagine any worse handling out of the JK. It's already pretty terrible. Leave the bar on, if you don't notice a difference, then why disconnect it? The difference is there if you think so or not, it's safer and smarter to run the bar...Absolutely.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't ever drive disconnected! It got very dark after wheeling. My buddy and I were having a such a hassle trying to reconnected my disconnects because of the surface we were on. So, we tried to drive home disconnected. On a town street going 35-45mph you will be okay, until you decide to turn and can feel your Jeep losing it's stability.

We knew it was dangerous so when we got into town we tried to reconnect, again because of the surface and how dark it was it was a pain and we left the suspension disconnected. After just two minutes or so on the highway going about 65-70mph we both looked at each other with eyes that said "f*** this." We got it and did not care how long it took, we reconnected the suspension.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Didn't you guys read the reset of the thread? People said they drive around disconnected and have no problem. That must mean it's alright to do it.

Mate

Everything feels good till a child runs in ur way and you try to do an evasive manouver at 60K/hr. You will end up upside down and the child will be most probably be dead. Then try to explain to the kids mother that it felt alright without the sway bar. Dont act like a lazy idiot and think of others on the road.

Mani
Old 04-19-2010, 02:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for the input guys........i think i will reconnect.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Youri
If some child runs into me on the road and makes me flip my jeep, I will not be explaining anything to the mother. She will be explaining to me why she couldn't keep her child out of the street. As a parent, there's like 2 things you got to do, keep your child out of the street and give him food.

I'll sue her too, for a new jeep and for emotional distress of having run over some kid.

Also, I leave my swaybar disconnected after wheeling all the time and my jeep handles fine on the highway, for 100+ miles. I never do sharp turns either, because I feel like I'd flop even without the swaybar!

My jeep isn't insanely lifted or on huge tires though, maybe that makes it handle better.

you have a point, but i do drive my kids to school every morning in my jk, and i don't want to involve them in ANY unecessary risk. i don't really feel like it would be a problem except in an emergency maneuver situation, but it's not worth the risk of rolling.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:06 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by trbn8r
Mate

Everything feels good till a child runs in ur way and you try to do an evasive manouver at 60K/hr. You will end up upside down and the child will be most probably be dead. Then try to explain to the kids mother that it felt alright without the sway bar. Dont act like a lazy idiot and think of others on the road.

Mani
I was being sarcastic (directed at those who say it's OK to drive around disconnected).
I have been giving advice to reconnect for a couple of years, now.

sarcasm definition

A form of irony in which apparent praise conceals another, scornful meaning. For example, a sarcastic remark directed at a person who consistently arrives fifteen minutes late for appointments might be, “Oh, you've arrived exactly on time!”

Last edited by ronjenx; 04-19-2010 at 05:12 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

I paid about $25K for my rig, and I plan on doing a lot of things to it to make it better. Why would you want to do something to make it worse?

You can feel the difference in the handling of the jeep without the swaybar. Its still driveable, but its safer with the sway bar on. What's next --lets disconnect the ABS, put on smaller brakes. If you want a rig that does great off road, but handles like crap on road sell the jeep and get something made in 1975.
Tom
Old 04-19-2010, 05:21 AM
JK Junkie

If some child runs into me on the road and makes me flip my jeep, I will not be explaining anything to the mother. She will be explaining to me why she couldn't keep her child out of the street. As a parent, there's like 2 things you got to do, keep your child out of the street and give him food.

I'll sue her too, for a new jeep and for emotional distress of having run over some kid.

Also, I leave my swaybar disconnected after wheeling all the time and my jeep handles fine on the highway, for 100+ miles. I never do sharp turns either, because I feel like I'd flop even without the swaybar!

My jeep isn't insanely lifted or on huge tires though, maybe that makes it handle better.

That sounds lovely. Way to be a positive contributor to society.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Don't be an idiot......... oops too late.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:15 AM
JK Junkie

Even off-road many people don't like the feeling of instability of a lifted Jeep without a swaybar attached. This is why you are seeing so many dual rate bars, and other sway bar alternatives so that you don't need to disconect off road. There are no benefits, or reasons to be disconected on the highway.

Quick Reply: daily driving with swaybar disconnected.............