Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Daily Driver Concept...what's the point

Old 12-26-2009, 05:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beamme84
Your calculation is off because most people buy USED car for commute and leave their JK for the weekend. You must take into account the mileage you save by not driving your Jeep which leads to LESS depreciation. It may not be much, but you do save on maintenance and other stuff.
So now, if you take into account those things, it may be worth it in a year or two if you buy a used car in the $5000 range or less (and it runs smoothly during that time).
I was thinking this, and with 35's and a lift, I haven't ever seen 17mpg in my JK. Average 12.5 all city. I still rock it as a DD though, but then again I live less that 2 miles driveway to parking lot at work.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My DD is an 07 Honda Accord...It gets way better mileage. I also have a 2000 Honda CVR and a 2003 Honda Van..

My 07 Sahara has Just over 3,000 miles on it...I use the Jeep for play and exploring or when the weather goes to crap.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1995 Saturn that my (now) 89 yr old grandmother gave me with 22.5k miles on it. She didn't drive it enough to justify paying insurance on it.

I drive for work, easily hitting 150+ miles a day several days a week. I get mileage for every mile of that. So I drive the Saturn at 33-35mpg, which has ZERO payments a month (and ZERO resale value for all practical purposes).

Said expense checks go.... guess where.....

Come on..... say it.......

To pay for the JK I don't have to drive into the ground running around for work. Honestly it would be worth it to replace said shitbox with another shitbox just to keep the JK from dying an early, painful death.

Math works differently for different people. I believe the economics term is "opportunity cost."
Old 12-26-2009, 09:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It makes people feel better because right now the fad is "green." It's the same concept I see at work... we have a bin to "recycle" soda cans, one day I threw my can in the regular trash and everyone FREAKED out like I just drop kicked a baby or something... funny thing is, one night I was working late and I watched the janitor dump the recycle bin of cans into the regular garbage.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the 'Cuda comments guys! It's my baby, bought it when I was 17 (5 years ago). It's been on the back burner since I don't quite have the facilities to put the car together how I would like to (complete paint/body resto, new gen Hemi, 5spd manual, etc, etc). So it gets tinkered with and the piss driven outta it! JK gets all the mods these days (little cheaper to mod too lol)

Quick Reply: Daily Driver Concept...what's the point