Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Daily Driver Concept...what's the point

Old 12-23-2009, 07:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daily Driver...what's the point

There has been quite a bit of talk about "my daily driver is a patriot or a civic" because gas is so expensive...yet they have a JK in addition.

Am I the only one that feels these people are idiots? I can see using the excuse that can't afford the JK so they buy something more fuel efficient in place of it - but to say they can't afford it and then spend $20k on another vehicle is just stupid!

Figures - I used the stats from each manufacturer website and I realize you can argue the numbers....

Jeep Wrangler
Miles per year: 20,000
Miles per gallon: 17
Gallons per year: 1,176
Cost per gallon: 3
Total Cost per year: $3,529

Jeep Patriot
Miles per gallon: 23
Gallons per year: 870
Total Cost per year: $2,609

Honda Civic
Miles per gallon: 29
Gallons per year: 690
Total Cost per year: $2,069

Cost of base Patriot: $20,175 (4x4 sport)
Cost of base Civic: $15,655

Additional FUEL Cost JK over Civic per year: $1,460
Additional FUEL Cost JK over Patriot per year: $920

So without taking into account higher overall insurance, maintenance, etc. it would take a long time to 'save' money due to high gas prices....

If you owned a JK and Civic - it would take about 10-11 years to break even
If you owned a JK and Patriot - it would take about 22 years to break even

If you truly can't afford the JK and own something in place of it that is fine but to use the BS that you save money on fuel and mileage is just silly....

I am sure I will hear plenty of 'knowledgeable' responses....and I welcome a serious explanation of the logic behind this!

Last edited by Smiley88; 12-23-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:54 PM
JK Newbie

I would imagine a few have a commute to work that entails long stretches on the interstate or other high speed freeways. A modded or even stock JK would probably not be the easiest vehicle to deal with on those commutes, thus, some people opt for a car to make the daily commute easier while still having an amazing weekend/after work toy.

Just my 2 .

At least, that is my plan when I finally get the college diploma and a big kid job.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:22 PM
JK Newbie

I have a nice vehicle that is not gas friendly (currently my truck) that I drive around town/on the weekends/when I need to haul stuff.

When I commuted, I also had a 14yo Civic that I bought for $2500 and got 38mpg. We did the math, and the Civic paid for itself in gas and maintenance savings on the truck in less than a year. But then again, I was smart and bought a used vehicle, so that doesn't really fit what you're talking about.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:21 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Smiley88
... Am I the only one that feels these people are idiots? ...
I doubt it. But, most of us are okay with letting other people decide how to run their own lives, whether we agree with their decisions or not.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:45 AM
JK Junkie

I must be an idiot ?!

Anyway, I have 6 kids (2 y.o. to 15 y.o.) and we do need 2 Jeep's

Last edited by Yoda; 12-24-2009 at 04:50 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Krysis135
I would imagine a few have a commute to work that entails long stretches on the interstate or other high speed freeways. A modded or even stock JK would probably not be the easiest vehicle to deal with on those commutes, thus, some people opt for a car to make the daily commute easier while still having an amazing weekend/after work toy.

Just my 2 .

At least, that is my plan when I finally get the college diploma and a big kid job.
This is exactly why I am going to find a cheap used car to use for my daily commute to work. It is not that the MPG is killing me, I just want to be able to do certain things to my JK that may require more than a weekend in the shop, and it being my current DD prohibits me from doing certain trails that could cause damage but still be fun.

The original post has decent logic in it but there is the human factor that is being left out, if it was that simple everyone would do it.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ideally, there are various reasons not use your JK for your DD if you do heavy wheeln', specially if it is heavily modified (just think of the tires).

I enjoy driving my JK a lot more than my other vehicle, so it rapidly became my DD.

The perfect solution is two have 2 JKs, just like some lucky members of this forum.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:17 PM
JK Freak

i just dont get the logic sometimes of people. lets say i have a long drive for work everyday and my jeep milage sucks. so i spend $5,000 for a decent used vehickle with better gas milage. yes i would be spending less for gas but i just spent 5grand for another vehickle

why not save the $5,000 and put it towards the jeep for gas money or mods?? i just dont get it. now if you sell the jeep off for a car i can understand that.

but the is America and we have the right and freedom to be morons
Old 12-24-2009, 09:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Your calculation is off because most people buy USED car for commute and leave their JK for the weekend. You must take into account the mileage you save by not driving your Jeep which leads to LESS depreciation. It may not be much, but you do save on maintenance and other stuff.
So now, if you take into account those things, it may be worth it in a year or two if you buy a used car in the $5000 range or less (and it runs smoothly during that time).
Old 12-24-2009, 09:30 PM
JK Junkie

My JK is my daily driver, my toy is a 10mpg 1972 Plymouth 'Cuda. Works for me! I burn enough gas for like 5 people with Hybrids between my two vehicles lol. Only thing that makes my JK more practical than my 'Cuda is; air conditioning, fuel injection, littttle better mileage (nowhere near as fun),and I can replace it if something happens to it! lol

Quick Reply: Daily Driver Concept...what's the point