Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Cuting the fenders gone out the window, what now

Old 01-08-2014, 01:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cuting the fenders gone out the window, what now

Hey guys, my girlfriend backed into her mothers car with my jeep luckily the fender was the only thing on the jeep that was damaged.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2016464954.jpg
Views:	862
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	522242

Unfortunately my plans to trim my fenders was damaged to. Now I'm looking for some ideas on aftermarket fenders does anybody have any advice? I have looked at a lot of them but thought I would ask the communities opinion on what ones to get or if I should just get it fixed and continue with my plans to trim them up. Pictures would be appreciated I know I said I looked at a lot but it's always nice to see what people have done to make them fit there build aesthetically if you know what I mean.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rubicon01
Hey guys, my girlfriend backed into her mothers car with my jeep luckily the fender was the only thing on the jeep that was damaged.

Attachment 522242

Unfortunately my plans to trim my fenders was damaged to. Now I'm looking for some ideas on aftermarket fenders does anybody have any advice? I have looked at a lot of them but thought I would ask the communities opinion on what ones to get or if I should just get it fixed and continue with my plans to trim them up. Pictures would be appreciated I know I said I looked at a lot but it's always nice to see what people have done to make them fit there build aesthetically if you know what I mean.
You can still trim them. Just start thin and taper off to the width you want. Most of the trims I have seen start off thin at that spot where its damaged!

Good luck
Old 01-08-2014, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKBANDIT55
You can still trim them. Just start thin and taper off to the width you want. Most of the trims I have seen start off thin at that spot where its damaged! Good luck
I thought about it but when I looked closer at it the crack runs higher then it looks and back it towards the body higher up it's hard to see unless you apply some pressure to the fender and I had planed on trimming them with the lines of the fender I likes it a lot better and then less problems with the DOT's there pretty sticky about tires siting proud of the fenders around here. Not a word of a lie I have seen them use a squares to check it on vehicles before, but I will definitely keep it in mind thanks
Old 01-08-2014, 08:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

You can still trim if you want...
But.......
Aftermarket flares vary and it really depends on what kind of use you'd like them for. My first set for my 07 JKU were bushwhacker pocket style. Looked great. Light weight. Easy bolt on design. Only $500. But then I took them on the trail. I'm a rock crawler and sometimes they simply got in the way. I never noticed how wide they were and they would constantly rub on my tires during flex. But don't getme wrong. If your just going to the beach or fire trails or getting them 'just because' they were fine. Just not fine for my particular application.

I recently ordered and installed metal cloaks detachable overland flares in the front and over lines in the rear. LOVE EM!!!! Aggressive look. Great functionality. However much more expensive. The flares, marker lights and inner fender wells ran me about 1400 and that's with free shipping. You also need a specialized rivet nut tool which cost another 160. Luckily my welder buddy rigged something up for me for 20. Otherwise it's a $600 install at a shop

Other buddies run flatties and love EM. I think a good cheap step is to get your hands on black oem and trim. Use yours for a trial run so you get it down first.

It boils down to the look and use you want. Kinda one of those '6 one way, half a dozen the other'things

Hope this helps.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mattyk
You can still trim if you want... But....... Aftermarket flares vary and it really depends on what kind of use you'd like them for. My first set for my 07 JKU were bushwhacker pocket style. Looked great. Light weight. Easy bolt on design. Only $500. But then I took them on the trail. I'm a rock crawler and sometimes they simply got in the way. I never noticed how wide they were and they would constantly rub on my tires during flex. But don't getme wrong. If your just going to the beach or fire trails or getting them 'just because' they were fine. Just not fine for my particular application. I recently ordered and installed metal cloaks detachable overland flares in the front and over lines in the rear. LOVE EM!!!! Aggressive look. Great functionality. However much more expensive. The flares, marker lights and inner fender wells ran me about 1400 and that's with free shipping. You also need a specialized rivet nut tool which cost another 160. Luckily my welder buddy rigged something up for me for 20. Otherwise it's a $600 install at a shop Other buddies run flatties and love EM. I think a good cheap step is to get your hands on black oem and trim. Use yours for a trial run so you get it down first. It boils down to the look and use you want. Kinda one of those '6 one way, half a dozen the other'things Hope this helps.
I really like the look of the metalcloaks, but like you said the wallet is a little light for a while after. Thanks for the info tho
Old 01-09-2014, 04:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Finding replacement OEM fenders are typically cheap. I've even seen red painted ones up for sale (among other colors)

- sent while my wife wasn't looking
Old 01-09-2014, 04:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JDub23
Finding replacement OEM fenders are typically cheap. I've even seen red painted ones up for sale (among other colors) - sent while my wife wasn't looking
Is oem and cut the preferred choice for yourself? Or is it just a cost issue?
Old 01-24-2014, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

I really like the look of the metalcloaks, but like you said the wallet is a little light for a while after. Thanks for the info tho
I hear ya bro. Only reason I pulled the trigger was for a 30k reenlistment bonus. But now that they're there they will always be there. Never changing these ones out!
Old 01-24-2014, 04:35 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Attachment 522242

I'm running bushwacker flats and love em... They take a beating too, I've hit then on trees left and right

Sent from my obama monitoring device
Old 01-24-2014, 04:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually started my cut just to the inside of where yours is cracked on that little ridge in the fender. Fender chop could still be done. It's worth a shot

Quick Reply: Cuting the fenders gone out the window, what now