Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

crosswind = all over the road

Old 12-22-2008, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I look at it like this If Imma make a long trip and know that I won't be willing I'd rather get a rental car or drive the other car. Don't get me wrong and I know that there are those out there that have the Jeep as a primary vehicle as I do right now besides my bike, which really isn't all that great in inclement weather lol... But after I get home I will have my car so I will be happy because I will almost have all my toys I want, Jeep being the best one of course. Regardless we all know the jeep isn't good in wind and was designed to HAVE FUN OFF THE ROAD!!!!! so take the senic route the one where they carved on the side of the mountians or along the highway Yeah it takes longer but you will have more fun I gaurantee it... LOL.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by falconfixer333
Having a brick on wheels with a crosswind or worse yet a head wind sux. but that one time you get a nice tailwind and that mpg goes waaaayyyy up I took a trip to Idaho this summer as was getting 23-24 mpg per the display.
Yeah or you could be the exact opposite and have a 30kt headwind and average 12 mpg @ 70mph. Thankfully It was only a 120 mile drive.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:17 PM
JK Newbie

Lightbulb It can be lessend

Originally Posted by matt parker
just completed a 500 mile trip home for christmas and dealt with both a headwind and crosswind for the entire trip. it was a total pain in the ass. it was blowing my jeep all over the road...like scary all over. is this normal? can it be fixed?

All JK's come from the factory with a nose down rake, about 1.5" on the 2 doors and 1" on the 4 doors. This is for 2 reasons. ( I know a lot of people hate the rake look but it is there for a purpose )

1. so the JK will sit level with a load of cargo.

2. and so the front tires will have the correct amount of weight on them for proper scrub radius friction with the road surface.

I see you have a 2 door with a 3.5" skyjacker lift.
Does your JK now sit nose high or level?

I suggest to get a 1" or .5" rear coil spring spacer to transfer some weight back to the front axle.
OR get a big heavy front bumper and winch.

I have FT's 3" ultimate lift and I had this same crosswind problem so I got some Teraflex 1" rear coil spring spacers and it helped a lot. You can't completely eliminate the wandering cause we are driving a rig with the aerodynamics of a shoe box. Also a suspension lift it lets more air under the vehicle to generate more lift.

Some other things that can cause wandering are.

Too much negative caster ( can be fixed with adjustable length front control arms )
Under or Over inflated tires.
worn/bad front steering or suspension parts.
cupped tire wear.
Improper shock valving per application.

Hope this helps a bit

Last edited by Bluewaterrider; 12-22-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

can anyone that's driven both a stock 2dr and a 4dr comment on the handling difference? The 2dr in the wind feels like I'm driving a funny car. I've thought about getting a 4dr for that very reason. Just curious.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the short wheel base 2 door feels very touchy when you turn the steering due to the space between front and rear tires. the same movement in the unlimited compared to the 2 door will feel very small in the unlimited and WIDER turning in the 2 door.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:11 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed wings and it keeps me flying down the highway straight as an arrow - no problem!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	3100260041_d5aa22da78_b.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	16801  
Old 12-22-2008, 06:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JackMac4
I installed wings and it keeps me flying down the highway straight as an arrow - no problem!

Do you get 30 mpg with that mod?
Old 12-22-2008, 07:57 PM
JK Newbie

Take off your doors and go topless. That should fix your problem.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:21 PM
Ely
JK Newbie

Have a 2 door with 3" BD lift and 35"s like the guy a couple rows up said
a heavy bumper/winch and a little adjustment to the caster/camber will greatly reduce the white knuckle cross wind experiance. Any good 4X4 shop should be able to align it for you. Most tire shops just go by factory specs and that could be part of your problem.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by whiskeytango
Take off your doors and go topless. That should fix your problem.
True, that will keep you from being blown off the road but what will keep you from being blown out of your Jeep. Here in windy Abilne there are days I have to keep the top/doors on just because the wind will rip the glasses right off your face.

Quick Reply: crosswind = all over the road