Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Could Renault Really Be Interested in Chrysler?

Old 10-06-2008, 11:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could Renault Really Be Interested in Chrysler?

http://car-reviews.automobile.com/ne...chrysler/5947/

Every two years in October the Paris motor show reminds we in North America of the French auto industry, and that in
Is it just talk, or is Renault still interested in going Stateside again. (Photo: Renault)
other parts of the world people still buy Citroens, Peugeots and Renaults. And every two years rumors abound about these French giants, or at least two of them, returning to what is still the largest car market in the world, the US, and despite the current decline in auto sales in the land of opportunity, talk is still hot.

The latest automaker gossip won't interest the tabloids, or at least not those normally associated with celebrity, but rather Paris is all aflutter about the possibility of Renault buying Chrysler off of Cerberus. Why would anyone want to buy an automaker that's hemorrhaging in sales to the point that a about third fewer cars are leaving Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep showrooms this year than last? Well, probably nobody, especially someone as savvy as Renault-Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn, but then again, rumors don't just simply pop up because there's nothing to substantiate them, do they?

Before we ask Brad Pitt or Angelina Jolie about that one, there might be something to this particular hubbub. If Renault really has plans to come back to
The award-winning Megane has been a popular seller in Europe, and could potentially do well here. (Photo: Renault)
America, it would need somewhere to sell its cars. Certainly Nissan could lend a failing dealership or two, every automaker has deadwood, but the Japanese brand, while struggling to sell its larger trucks and SUVs like most carmakers these days, is hardly hard up and therefore willing to part with the lifeblood of cash flow, its dealership base, which is where Chrysler, a brand in search of a good small and midsize platform partner (Megane and Laguna) incidentally, could come in.

The Auburn-Hills automaker has plenty of dealers, many of which aren't expected to weather the current economic storm (and Chrysler dealers aren't alone in this plight). Many of these would welcome an import brand purveying stylish, well-built, fuel efficient cars, a brand that had a fairly strong following here when it pulled out of the market back in the late ‘80s.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:07 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh Lord, lets hope not.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:20 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only worse thing that could happen to Jeep would be if a Chinese or Indian company bought it.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:33 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by putnam dan
well the sheet metal is already up to Renault standards
Don't forget the plastic!
Old 10-07-2008, 07:02 AM
JK Super Freak

That would so ironic! Talk about going full-circle.

In 1987 Chrysler purchased AMC, of which 46% was owned by Renault, just to get Jeep (which AMC had purchased from Kaiser in 1970). They've probably always regretted giving up the Jeep badge!
Old 10-07-2008, 08:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OffTopic
That would so ironic! Talk about going full-circle.

In 1987 Chrysler purchased AMC, of which 46% was owned by Renault, just to get Jeep (which AMC had purchased from Kaiser in 1970). They've probably always regretted giving up the Jeep badge!
I liked the AMC jeeps....so this may be a good thing??
Old 10-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ccdjeep
I liked the AMC jeeps....so this may be a good thing??
No, I very much doubt that.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:42 AM
JK Freak

Jeep is the biggest legendary brand of America. I just hope it will stay American.

Jeep is the proudness of USA, like Ferrari in Italy.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:30 PM
JK Newbie

Holy crap, Renault's where the biggest pieces of crap that ever rolled on American soil!
Old 10-09-2008, 06:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've owned a couple of Renaults (pronounced Rey-no), one being a 1980 R-5 and the other a Fuego Turbo. Both were trouble free, especially the R-5 which was a bulletproof as anything I ever owned.

Renault owns 44.4% of Nissan, and the last time I looked, Nissan builds some decent 4WD trucks and SUVs.

Renault is also a large manufacturer of diesels. Renault is now a well managed company and they produce excellent vehicles.

Renault would bring much needed capital to Chrysler and vast expertise in small, fuel efficient cars, something Chrysler needs big time.

My regards,

Widewing

Quick Reply: Could Renault Really Be Interested in Chrysler?