Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Cost of a JK rig?

Old 11-24-2011, 03:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost of a JK rig?

I'm looking into buying a JK for use as a daily driver (very short commute) and a toy. If I bought a JK, I'd buy a new 2 door Rubicon. I'm just nervous about spending upwards of 30k only to tear out the carpet and cover the interior in neoprene. I know a lift and some nice tires on a Rubicon would conquer anything I'd encounter. Is it cost effective to do this to a JK? Would it be cheaper to find a tj rubicon?
Old 11-24-2011, 03:54 PM
JK Jedi Master

You could always look at a good used one like this:

[h=1]For Sale: 2007 Sahara - 2dr Auto. 4.10's, moderately built. Located in Niagara Falls[/h]
Old 11-24-2011, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lzolyak
I'm looking into buying a JK for use as a daily driver (very short commute) and a toy. If I bought a JK, I'd buy a new 2 door Rubicon. I'm just nervous about spending upwards of 30k only to tear out the carpet and cover the interior in neoprene. I know a lift and some nice tires on a Rubicon would conquer anything I'd encounter. Is it cost effective to do this to a JK? Would it be cheaper to find a tj rubicon?
I don't even have my JK yet, but I can already tell you, it will absolutely be more cost effective to do what you mention on a TJ. You'll give up some comfort and so forth, but it sounds like you're more interested in the toy bit than the DD bit (since you have a very short commute). Just in savings of purchase price of a used TJ vs. new JK Rubicon, you could buy a _lot_ of mods. You might even consider just getting a base TJ and going nuts with it.

My new JK is going to be a DD as well, but it's a 50/50 mix commuter and off-road vehicle, and I'm not a huge rock-crawling type guy, I prefer dirt trails that lead to the middle of nowhere to primitive camp, and the occasional rougher terrain - but nothing like you see the guys running D60s and so forth are doing. Having a vehicle more comfortable for the on-road driving, plus being more than capable of all the off-road adventures I intend to throw at it, was worth the extra money. The engine was a huge selling point to me, since I spend a lot of time on the highway, and in TX, 70+ is common.

If I'd been looking for the most 'cost effective' method, I'd have gotten a used older Jeep, and an old Civic or something for commuting, but I've always loved driving Jeeps, and I'm willing to put up with the mileage/ride/etc to have a smile on my face.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

J(ust) E(mpty) E(ach) P(ocket)

Ask your wife, I'm sure the dining room set will be best
Old 11-24-2011, 10:35 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lzolyak
It depends on what you really want. The JK is so much more advanced and smoother than the TJ. Plus if you buy a 2012, you get the extra horsepower on the road. But if you are only looking for a lower payment, go with a TJ, the '12 Rubis are pricey. The JK is a better all around vehicle though.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:11 AM
JK Newbie

How beat would the interior get if I didn't do mods to it? The reason why I ask is that in the summer, I'd like to safari or targa top it (even in the rain). My off roading would be pretty much trails with some rougher terrain. How much am I looking at for mods in the JK? I know the TJ would probably cost around $20k fully modded. I'm willing to spend some extra for the JK (probably 35k total).
Old 11-25-2011, 06:49 AM
JK Freak

Stop dwelling and just do it. Its an addiction. Once you get one you won't regret it. You'll take to Rausch Creek one time and you'll be hooked. If you go test drive a 2012 you won't be able to walk away.

Quick Reply: Cost of a JK rig?