Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Cost to install lift kit??

Old 01-18-2009, 11:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck45
I think if you want to bang around in the boonies you have a RESPONSIBILITY to get an idea of how things work on your vehicle. If not when you have problems out there you'll be imposing on others to help you. And most will, mind you. But it really frosts my butt when I come across somebody off the beaten path who has no clue and is unprepared. So familiarize yourself with your vehicle, do as much as you can. If you have a shop do something ask if you can watch - this works best at real small shops.
I totally agree, I just feel like maybe i should start by doing something like changing my oil ya know?
Old 01-19-2009, 02:55 AM
JK Super Freak

I was just in my local 4 Wheel Parts store on Saturday to pick up some aux lighting and asked about their install charges. They have an hourly rate of $75. They have a chart to estimate the charges for all lifts and mods. 2 hours for a BB and 8 hours for a full lift kit like the 3" Ultimate from FT or the Currie RockJock kit.

What frightened me was that the install manager told me the adjustable trackbars aren't necessary and they usually don't install them. Then he insisted on new steering stabilizers and a front-end alignment saying that toe-in has to be adjusted. That's when I politely excused myself and said, "Thank you for your time, have a nice day."

Moral of the story: Even though the labor may not be that expensive, do it yourself and be sure it gets done right. We'll help you through it. Take your laptop to the garage and if you have a question during the install, create a new thread with the words "URGENT - INSTALL HELP NEEDED" in the title - that will let folks that are online know you are in the middle of an install and need assistance.

Get 2 pairs of these - 4 total (Craftsman 3 ton High Lift Jack Stands
Sears item# 00950159000 Mfr. model# 50159) - $25 for the set - $50 total.

The install party sounds like a great idea. There's a ton of JKers in Texas from what I've seen.

Good luck.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

They just (over the phone) quoted me $160 to install and $80 for an alignment, just an FYI.

But everyone is right, these kits are EASY to install. I've read through probably 5 different kits' install guides already, and by far the RC 2.5" Coil kit (what I'm going with) is easiest so this should be a walk in the park.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:58 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All they gonna do for an alignment is re-center your steering wheel. doubt if your toe will even need adjusting. Re-center your steering wheel yourself ,WOL has a write up on it.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Charlotte, NC 4WheelParts did my Teraflex 4" full suspension kit for $700, I think they were charging $70-75/per hour. Plus they make you pay the alignment charge - I think was $100. They did a great job, I am 100% happy with their work, they loved the Teraflex kit, they said it was one of the best kits they ever installed.

My soft hands are for Gaming not getting dirty so I gladly pay people, people who work for a living
Old 01-19-2009, 11:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
All they gonna do for an alignment is re-center your steering wheel. doubt if your toe will even need adjusting. Re-center your steering wheel yourself ,WOL has a write up on it.
Yes, I know, it is easy as pie and would save $80.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:28 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IPvFletch
Yes, I know, it is easy as pie and would save $80.
Cool, just makin sure you didn't get ripped.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WRAITHYJEEP
DUDE do it yourself
benifits
learn about your jeep
learn about your lift that way if something doesn't seem right at least you will have a clue
take 300 and buy tools like jack stands

you are further ahead to do this yourself.
X2, I just installed a 4" Rough Country with 2.2s, lower adjustable front control arms, and dual steering stabilizer. Learned a ton about my suspension and how it works and was very easy. Oh, and saved 500 bills.

A local shop here wanted 2500 for just the lift and 35x12.50x17s, just to give you an idea.

Quick Reply: Cost to install lift kit??