Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Cost to install lift kit??

Old 01-18-2009, 03:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blazer4949
I'm having 4Wheel Parts install 3" Full Flex TF lift, front Rubicon driveshaft, front and rear JKS adjustable trackbars, JKS welded rear trackbar brace, alignment, plus got them to change trans oil and filter (I provide oil, filter, O ring, tube of selant).
Cost of parts, $2700 and labor $500. $3,200
Compared tires, best deal Discount Tire, 4Wheel Parts would match the deal, but DT gives lifetime balancing (4WP no longer offers this) and 4 free Big Bear Ski passes!!!!
$500 is a good deal for that much work.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smuhhh
So has anyone who has literally no idea how vehicles work done their own lift kit install? I'm talking about having trouble figuring out where the oil goes.... I had to buy myself a ratchet today just so I could get my freedom top off to remove the soft top. Should someone like myself really be screwing around with parts that could potentionally fail and kill me?
Sounds like me. You do learn a hell of alot installing it yourself. I have never done much vehicle work. Only thing I did wrong was not flip my swaybar backup. I had 3 guys helping me. The more you get the better off you are.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wiredawg_mg
I would say no if you are doing it by yourself. Time to invite your buddy over that has some more mechanically experience and few more hand tools. You don't want to have a bad experience. It really only takes a little confidence and some time. If you have a friend that will replace his own shocks when they are worn or who does his own brakes and has a set of metric tools, you have a friend that has the needed skills to help you with a basic lift.
The friends I have with "mechanical" skills have done so much damage to their own vehicles in attempt to fix or modify them, that I would trust my mom to help me before any of them.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey thanks all, this is good feedback. Good to know you are getting THAT MUCH for $500 in labor. So I guess a suspension will be more like $250, maybe $300 because you probably got a good deal on labor because you spent so much and are having add'l labor than just a lift kit.

I want to get some new rock rails too so maybe I will get them to give me a good deal if I do it all through them and have them do the labor. I will have to give them a jingle tomorrow and get a quote (they're closed today else I would have called already).
Old 01-18-2009, 05:27 PM
JK Freak

Be careful when dealing with 4 Wheel Parts or their affiliates. We were almost ripped off by them and as a result are still stock right now. They are a bit shady and we are very unimpressed with them. Beware of the salesman that keeps saying that he's honest.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:52 PM
JK Freak

I've had 4Wheel Parts do all my work on my JK, never a problem.
Anything that went wrong they fixed. e.i. bent sensor when doing
the 5.13's, they bought new ones replaced within a dey; and steering
stabilizer, they have replaced 2; and have done a handful of
other things for free. I keep going back.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:46 PM
JK Newbie

Would you mind telling me which 4 wheel parts store you are using in so cal?

Thanks,
Brandi
Old 01-18-2009, 07:54 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got my BB installed for $100. That was before I found all the info on this site. Now I do everything.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by smuhhh
So has anyone who has literally no idea how vehicles work done their own lift kit install? I'm talking about having trouble figuring out where the oil goes.... I had to buy myself a ratchet today just so I could get my freedom top off to remove the soft top. Should someone like myself really be screwing around with parts that could potentionally fail and kill me?
I think if you want to bang around in the boonies you have a RESPONSIBILITY to get an idea of how things work on your vehicle. If not when you have problems out there you'll be imposing on others to help you. And most will, mind you. But it really frosts my butt when I come across somebody off the beaten path who has no clue and is unprepared. So familiarize yourself with your vehicle, do as much as you can. If you have a shop do something ask if you can watch - this works best at real small shops.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:53 PM
JK Newbie

I had a 2.5" Teraflex BB installed at a 4wheelparts they charged $150 for labor and $75 for alignment. I called a few different 4wheelparts and they all charge different prices one tried to charge me $600 for labor! Do a lil research call around to a few places most charge from $200 to $400 for that type of lift.

Quick Reply: Cost to install lift kit??