Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Cost to install lift kit??

Old 01-18-2009, 02:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cost to install lift kit??

I have a 4WD (aka 4WheelSupply aka 4WheelParts) here in town and they sell a lot of suspensions, wheels, etc, and have a full size shop with like 3-4 bays, so I know they do installs..

What I'm wondering is if any of you have paid to have your lift kit installed and what the cost of this is?? Figure a basic 2.5" coil lift kit, like TeraFlex or Rough Country..

I will also get new wheels/tires through them (best price around even on the Internet with their sale right now) so maybe they will even offer me a better deal...

But basically, I'm just trying to figure what to expect... $300? $500? more????

I would do it myself because it doesn't seem all that complex (after reading both mfgr's install guides and some reviewes on project-jk) but alas my wife wants to see if we can pay some small fee to possibly avoid getting me killed, you know, that sort of thing..

So... Any ideas???
Old 01-18-2009, 02:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask what their shop labor rate is. I cant imagine it more than 4 billable hours so maybe $300??? Just a guess since I do all of this myself... which I HIGHLY recommend you do! Its easy, and it helps you to understand the component relationships under there, which helps you trouble shoot down the road. There has to be some Austin guys that would give you a hand for a couple beers and a pizza!
Old 01-18-2009, 02:50 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you wanna road trip or you head towards New Orleans during Mardi Gras, I'll help you put it on. Hammond is 50 miles north of N.O. Shop probally 300-500 dollar range. Me , nothing, we could go to Bourbon St after.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:53 PM
JK Super Freak

DUDE do it yourself
benifits
learn about your jeep
learn about your lift that way if something doesn't seem right at least you will have a clue
take 300 and buy tools like jack stands

you are further ahead to do this yourself.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, I know, I realize it is not hard. I used to do suspensions on my old Civic and my old Maxima, and I know what I'm in for. If anything, THE JK IS EASIER because of the fully externalized suspension components and elbow room..

Probably my only fear is not having the right floor jacks. Mine are too short most likely, so I'm kind of SOL there unless I buy/borrow some larger ones.

I have yet to tap the local Austin folks (don't know any yet) but maybe I will find someone who can lend a hand. I certainly would NOT do this by MYSELF, but I would do it if I had some help and I could convince my wife saving $300 is worth the risk.

(No I have not and do not plan to show her the thread about that guy who had his Jeep fall on him whilst installing the EXACT SAME LIFT KIT (Rough Country).... *doh* ) :(
Old 01-18-2009, 03:07 PM
JK Freak

I did mine myself. Just needed to spend $50 dollars more on metric wrenches. You can do this no problem. It isn't hard at all. Air tools help alot.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:13 PM
JK Super Freak

The Mid-West Guys just did a install party to install a 2.5 inch coil Lift. I would check with your local TX JKers or a local Jeep Club to get some help doing your lift. There is no reason to pay anyone to install a bolt on lift on your jeep.

Since it seems like you are already mechanically inclined you should just go for it. Go to sears and buy yourself a floor jack and jack stands. Have a buddy come over on a Saturday morning and be done by lunch.

If the little lady is used to seeing you wrench on your cars already, you should be able to convince her that this is no issue.

Otherwise shop rate X 4 hours should about do it.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

So has anyone who has literally no idea how vehicles work done their own lift kit install? I'm talking about having trouble figuring out where the oil goes.... I had to buy myself a ratchet today just so I could get my freedom top off to remove the soft top. Should someone like myself really be screwing around with parts that could potentionally fail and kill me?
Old 01-18-2009, 03:26 PM
JK Freak

I'm having 4Wheel Parts install 3" Full Flex TF lift, front Rubicon driveshaft, front and rear JKS adjustable trackbars, JKS welded rear trackbar brace, alignment, plus got them to change trans oil and filter (I provide oil, filter, O ring, tube of selant).
Cost of parts, $2700 and labor $500. $3,200
Compared tires, best deal Discount Tire, 4Wheel Parts would match the deal, but DT gives lifetime balancing (4WP no longer offers this) and 4 free Big Bear Ski passes!!!!
Old 01-18-2009, 03:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by smuhhh
So has anyone who has literally no idea how vehicles work done their own lift kit install? I'm talking about having trouble figuring out where the oil goes.... I had to buy myself a ratchet today just so I could get my freedom top off to remove the soft top. Should someone like myself really be screwing around with parts that could potentionally fail and kill me?
I would say no if you are doing it by yourself. Time to invite your buddy over that has some more mechanically experience and few more hand tools. You don't want to have a bad experience. It really only takes a little confidence and some time. If you have a friend that will replace his own shocks when they are worn or who does his own brakes and has a set of metric tools, you have a friend that has the needed skills to help you with a basic lift.

Quick Reply: Cost to install lift kit??