Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Correct uses for 4hi/lo, etc....

Old 07-22-2007, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct uses for 4hi/lo, etc....

okay, this is my first Jeep. I scored a 2-door blue Rubicon which I'm pretty stoked about... I read a bit about beach/sand driving and it was suggested to drive in 4hi and to air down the tires....

what about:
Mud
Steep, rocky inclines/declines
Snow
Marsh
Water fording
Using lockers
Using sway bar disconnnect
etc...

It would be awesome for some more experienced owners to help out!
Old 07-22-2007, 08:50 AM
JK Newbie

Key thing is part time 4wd = no 4wd on dry/mostly dry pavement.

Each situation is going to be different but to generalize:

- 4 lo is for SLOW moving on difficult terrain such as steep hills (up and down), rocky trails, mud, etc.

- water crossings may or may not need 4 lo but you want to go SLOW

- lockers will be most useful in situations where you're in 4 lo and not getting enough traction (steep climbs, mud, etc.)

- sway bar disconnect will be useful on difficult trails with lot of rocks or mogul type terrain (again probably in 4 lo)

- 4 hi would cover your typical snow or sand driving or moderate trail riding (where you're driving a little bit faster and the terrain is not as difficult)

- airing down tires is helpful to get more traction (on sand for example) and is also helpful on rocks (slightly reduces chance of puncturing tires on sharp rocks)

Again, these are all generalizations - you will need to adjust as your terrain changes....

Hope that helps,

Indy
98 TJ (4" lift, 33" tires)
08 JK unl rubi - on order
Old 07-22-2007, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

As a general rule of thumb, you only want to use 4wd hi or low in situations where the tires have limited traction, basically not on the streets. Differences in air pressure or tire wear can cause everything to bind if you are engaged on the street. On something slippery like dirt, snow, and the like, the wheels are able to slip to correct for any differences.

I have friends that are new to rock crawling that like to see how far that they can push it in 2wd. It seems like bragging rights for them to claim that they ran a trail in 2wd. In reality it puts unneccessary stress on your driveline because your front tires are plowing into things instead of pulling over them. Just a thought.

I run full time lockers front and rear in my tj so they are always engaged when in 4wd ( I haven't ever used 4hi that I can think of, I hate sand). It seems to work for me, but most of my friends use ARB (selectable air locker) and they only engage the lockers when they need them. They have a similar set up to the JK where they are running open until they need the lockers.

On snow covered roads, do not use the lockers as they will cause you to actually lose traction around turns.

The swaybar disconnect is used for added articulation and should be used for going over large uneven rocks. There is no need to disconnect it unless you need the extra flex.

I read recently that airing down is the cheapest and best mod for the money LOL. The amount that you air down really depends on your tire but basically it gives you a bigger footprint. It also allows your tires to form around rocks giving you greater traction. It also makes for a smoother ride on rough trails. I air down to 8 with my 35" MTRs and I have seen some go down to 4 lbs with IROKs. It really depends on the tires that you use and what you are doing.

Last edited by justrok; 07-22-2007 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for the quick replies... i'll report when i can get off road

Quick Reply: Correct uses for 4hi/lo, etc....