Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Cop pulled me over because I was doorless

Old 06-13-2010, 09:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OoPEZoO
Let me guess......it was Northwest Regional? Were in the Dover area? If not, was it State, Local, or regional and where were you?

If so, it was probably the same prick that pulled me over for it last year. Technically it is illegal in PA unless you have a CJ (because doors were a factory option on them), but that was the only time I have ever had anyone give a shit. He read me the riot act like I just committed a felony. When I questioned him about the exact law, he literally stood there screaming at me on the side of the road with my fiance, her 9 yr old daughter, and daughter's friend in the Jeep with me. The guy was a total unprofessional asshat. After all the hysterics, he let me off with a written warning.

I have a funny feeling they hang out over there on 74 by Mount Zion Offroad and just hammer Jeep owners every chance they get. I still go doorless every chance I get, I just no longer drive through Dover.

That would have been my guess also. Northern Regional are not well like around the area because of just a situation like this. You could pass a 100 cops and it seems like they would be the ones to pull you over. I have a buddy that has a souped up Mustang with a blower sticking out of the hood. He passes cops all the time and never got pulled over until one day he got nailed by N.R.. He got a ticket though (no warning)! The irritating part is that he's passed other N.R. who have not pulled him over. Guess that cop was low on his quota for the month!

Back on topic. I thought I read on another post that said you were only required to have one rear view mirror in PA.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Twitter...

To my Peeps in PA (and everybody else), we gotta start somewhere...

Be nice and make helpful suggestions

Last edited by doubleusn; 06-14-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default ...and Facebook.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:37 AM
JK Newbie

Good thing about living in Alaska is cops don't mess with you.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:49 PM
JK Freak

We have no such laws in Arkansas.

it's the wild west here.
if you can get it to run. you can pretty much drive it anywhere.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CreepJeep
We have no such laws in Arkansas.

it's the wild west here.
Same here. We have inspection, but its a joke. Drive up, hand a guy 5 bucks, and he puts a sticker on your windshield. I have no reverse lights, no light over my tag, no side marker lights of any kind and didn't hear a word about it.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:18 PM
JK Freak

Just another example of a law that makes no sense - especially when you consider that it is completely legal to ride a motorcycle in PA with no helmet.

JD
Old 06-13-2010, 05:15 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by redx08
Same here. We have inspection, but its a joke. Drive up, hand a guy 5 bucks, and he puts a sticker on your windshield. I have no reverse lights, no light over my tag, no side marker lights of any kind and didn't hear a word about it.
we have no inspection here in Arkansas.
but, in the same breath that gives cops carte blanc to pull you over for
any "infraction" they deem.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CreepJeep
Awesome!
Old 06-13-2010, 06:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've actually got the ticket here in PA and beat it (Hatfield twp police) so I have some experience in this situation and here's my 2 cents:

Originally Posted by bizeball
Today a cop pulled me over because I was doorless, he gave me a warning and gave me a paper to get signed by another cop proving I put my doors back on. I have been driving my Jeep in Pa for two years now with out a problem. Anyone know the exact law? I do use a mirror relocation kit.
Don't get is signed by another cop - let it get turned into a ticket and fight it! I believe it's an inspection violation not a moving violation so it will not affect your insurance.

Originally Posted by POTO
Here's one part of the code.

§ 175.77. Body.

(f) Doors. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with doors of a type used as original equipment. The doors shall open and close securely unless the vehicle has been manufactured or modified to the extent that there is no roof or side. Tailgates, except on vehicles where the tailgate gives access to the passenger compartment, may be replaced with wood planking, nets or other material that will prevent loss of load. Tailgates may be removed when optional equipment, for example a truck camper, is added.
Make the argument that the manufacturer equiped your vehicle with removable doors, and take a copy of the pages of the owner's manual showing how to remove the doors.

Originally Posted by Muffins
I wonder if they could still pull you over if you had latching tube doors on since they are latched and open and close? I haven't been harassed here in MI either, that stinks about the foot outside the Jeep, I like to rest mine on the driver side rock rail when out driving around and not off-roading.
In PA with this code having aftermarket doors ON would actually be an inspection violation of 175.77 (f) !!! I had the soft doors on when I got my ticket and he didn't write it for that!!

Quick Reply: Cop pulled me over because I was doorless