Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Cop pulled me over because I was doorless

Old 06-13-2010, 06:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by notenuftoys
I'm guessing they could, if they wanted to stick to the exact letter of the law. It does mention original manufacturer doors.

Jeep needs to change their equipment list to always list doors and roof as optional. That would get us all around the law.
I had a tj and drove with the doors off. A cop had told me when i had it parked at my house that if i drove itlike that he would pull me over. I bought tube doors and everytime i drove by him he just looked at me. Where i live now i see dooless and nothing done. my jk's tires stick past the fenders and cops don't care about that so i guess it depends what kind of day they are having.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to apologize to the OP on behalf of the national law enforcement community. I'm sorry for the negative experience he had. While it appears the officer was justified in the stop and citing the driver, it's never excusable to scream, demean, or act unprofessionally with the taxpayers - the folks who pay us to be out there.

I've been on the job for 22 years and have matured a lot in that time. I'm a supervisor now, a sergeant in a fairly large midwestern city (about 800,000 people in the greater metro area). I still make my share of stops, but it's rare that I issue tickets. I seem to be able to effect change in driving behavior by giving breaks, but curry favor for the PD at the same time.

Try not to generalize about your paladins in blue, brown, olive and gray. Most of 'em are guys and gals just like you, out trying to make a difference and earn a living for their families.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:54 AM
JK Freak

Doorless: no problem in Quebec

But, some cities around Montreal, the police can give you a ticket if the JK is parked; because the "doors" are not locked
Old 06-13-2010, 07:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Under Dawg
I'd like to apologize to the OP on behalf of the national law enforcement community. I'm sorry for the negative experience he had. While it appears the officer was justified in the stop and citing the driver, it's never excusable to scream, demean, or act unprofessionally with the taxpayers - the folks who pay us to be out there.

I've been on the job for 22 years and have matured a lot in that time. I'm a supervisor now, a sergeant in a fairly large midwestern city (about 800,000 people in the greater metro area). I still make my share of stops, but it's rare that I issue tickets. I seem to be able to effect change in driving behavior by giving breaks, but curry favor for the PD at the same time.

Try not to generalize about your paladins in blue, brown, olive and gray. Most of 'em are guys and gals just like you, out trying to make a difference and earn a living for their families.
I have a degree in criminal justice so I can relate to you a little even though I'm not an Officer.
I just want to know the difference in some one driving a motorcycle with no doors,roof,front or rear bumper and someone driving a jeep with no doors but still has a roll cage,front bumper and a rear bumper not including the obvious difference in size of the two vehicle's.
Not to mention the driver of the jeep more than likely was wearing his/her seatbelt.
Last I checked motorcycles are not equipped with seat belt restraints, just a helmet to keep the brain matter from flying all over the ground when they hit the jeep that has his/her doors off.
I don't understand stupid laws like this.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:08 AM
JK Super Freak

My son went into the police station and asked if doors were required. He was told as long as he has seat belts ... no problem.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepoholic
What the hell is the difference in driving a motorcycle and driving a jeep without doors?
Some cops don't have anything better to do.
Next time just roll a donut down the road for him/her to chase.
It is because of how they came from the factory, and how this state has written their law off if it.

Instead of crafting their own standalone one they made a poor one that was mated to a manufactures equipment list.

I see the point your making, but nothing to do with bikes really.

Same as school buses with no seat belts.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by doubleusn
It is because of how they came from the factory, and how this state has written their law off if it.

Instead of crafting their own standalone one they made a poor one that was mated to a manufactures equipment list.

I see the point your making, but nothing to do with bikes really.

Same as school buses with no seat belts.
Then what about a rail buggy someone built in there back yard.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OoPEZoO
The problem is.....they always refer back to the inspection code.

Their argument is that the vehicle will not pass inspection because it originally came with doors fitted from the manufacturer. If it won't pass inspection, then it isn't legal to have it on the road. I don't agree with that assessment, but thats what I had shoved down my throat. It depends on your interpretation of the law the way it is written. Do you read it line by line, or read the whole law and make a decision on that. The only way around it is to fight the ticket and allow a judge to interpret the law themselves. I just got harassed and then given a written warning......not much to fight there except making a formal complaint to the police department. Which I didn't figure was worth my time or effort.
I hear what you are saying (time) but unless folks in PA get the law changed, somebody will need to do this and win/get the citation dropped. This will help set precedent for others in the state and could be posted here, for others to have in hand, when they go to court to fight future citations.

Like I said I agree with your comment about time. You have to choose your battles, but apathy will not make things better in PA for Jeep owners.

In general it would be nice to see Jeep, as a company, post the laws someplace for each state and to become a better advocate for their customers in regard to this. Think a Steve Jobs style 'Thoughts on Flash/Doors' type post @ Jeep.com.

Jeep is on twitter and FB. Maybe it's time for folks to respectfully contact them via these sites to let them know we are concerned?

Cheers
-wsn
Old 06-13-2010, 07:51 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jeepoholic
I have a degree in criminal justice so I can relate to you a little even though I'm not an Officer.
I just want to know the difference in some one driving a motorcycle with no doors,roof,front or rear bumper and someone driving a jeep with no doors but still has a roll cage,front bumper and a rear bumper not including the obvious difference in size of the two vehicle's.
Not to mention the driver of the jeep more than likely was wearing his/her seatbelt.
Last I checked motorcycles are not equipped with seat belt restraints, just a helmet to keep the brain matter from flying all over the ground when they hit the jeep that has his/her doors off.
I don't understand stupid laws like this.
The differnce is that your state legislators made it unlawful to drive a 4-wheeled vehicle without doors on it, but did not choose to make motorcycles illegal. Are the cops supposed to ignore the laws that they don't agree with or is it their job to enforce the laws which your elected representatives enact on your behalf? (I do agree that the law itself is stupid)
Old 06-13-2010, 08:44 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by doubleusn
I hear what you are saying (time) but unless folks in PA get the law changed, somebody will need to do this and win/get the citation dropped. This will help set precedent for others in the state and could be posted here, for others to have in hand, when they go to court to fight future citations.

Like I said I agree with your comment about time. You have to choose your battles, but apathy will not make things better in PA for Jeep owners.

Cheers
-wsn
I agree with you. If I would have received an actual ticket, I definitely would have fought it tooth and nail as far as I could. In my particular situation, I got a written warning. I'm not even sure you can do anything about that. The cop told me "You are officially in our system. If you get pulled over around here again without your doors, then you will be issued a ticket". I just rolled my eyes and threw it in the glove box.

Here is the kicker. Then he goes on to tell me that if I got "some of those tube doors", I would be OK and they wouldn't bother me. Now wait a minute.......you can't have it both ways. The law states either we don't need doors or we need OEM style latching doors (depending on how you interpret it). This is when I brought it up that he had just blown his credibility and I knew he was just harassing me for the sake of harassing me. He started backpedaling with his words and getting all frustrated and tongue tied. At that point I kind of cut the conversation short and asked if we could leave.

Quick Reply: Cop pulled me over because I was doorless