Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Cop pulled me over because I was doorless

Old 06-12-2010, 07:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by POTO
... unless the vehicle has been manufactured or modified to the extent that there is no roof or side. ....[/COLOR]
I read that as doorless is OK because the Jeep was manufacture without a roof.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jiblet
I read that as doorless is OK because the Jeep was manufacture without a roof.

The problem is.....they always refer back to the inspection code.

§ 175.80. Inspection procedure

4) Check the door operation, including the tailgate, and reject if one or more of the following apply:

(i) The doors, except a tailgate on a pick-up truck, are not on the vehicle if originally fitted by the manufacturer.

(ii) The doors, including the tailgate, do not open and close securely, unless the vehicle has been manufactured or modified to the extent that there is no roof or side.
Their argument is that the vehicle will not pass inspection because it originally came with doors fitted from the manufacturer. If it won't pass inspection, then it isn't legal to have it on the road. I don't agree with that assessment, but thats what I had shoved down my throat. It depends on your interpretation of the law the way it is written. Do you read it line by line, or read the whole law and make a decision on that. The only way around it is to fight the ticket and allow a judge to interpret the law themselves. I just got harassed and then given a written warning......not much to fight there except making a formal complaint to the police department. Which I didn't figure was worth my time or effort.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats really stupid cuz i am in michigan, and i have never been puled over for having my doors off or anything like that but i have been pulled over twice, one for having my foot on the edge of the crack and resting out side the car just a little bit and then he also sighted me for not having shoes on while i was driving, i had saddles and i took them off cuz its hard to shift, and that was it, i didnt even have any out side mirrors, so i was wondering could he have given me a ticket for that???
Old 06-12-2010, 11:59 AM
JK Junkie

I wonder if they could still pull you over if you had latching tube doors on since they are latched and open and close? I haven't been harassed here in MI either, that stinks about the foot outside the Jeep, I like to rest mine on the driver side rock rail when out driving around and not off-roading.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lame. I'm around the Philly area and often drive out towards Reading without doors. I have passed several cops while driving without doors and haven't been stopped. I'll be pretty pissed if I do.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:54 PM
JK Freak

Does anyone know anything about door-less in Texas?
Old 06-12-2010, 05:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What the hell is the difference in driving a motorcycle and driving a jeep without doors?
Some cops don't have anything better to do.
Next time just roll a donut down the road for him/her to chase.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:56 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeepoholic
Next time just roll a donut down the road for him/her to chase.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:02 PM
JK Super Freak

I recall my Jeep had stickers noting that the roof and the doors were for protection from the elements only, and were not designed for protection in a crash.

As such, if they are not designed to protect you in a crash....
Old 06-13-2010, 06:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Muffins
I wonder if they could still pull you over if you had latching tube doors on since they are latched and open and close? I haven't been harassed here in MI either, that stinks about the foot outside the Jeep, I like to rest mine on the driver side rock rail when out driving around and not off-roading.
I'm guessing they could, if they wanted to stick to the exact letter of the law. It does mention original manufacturer doors.

Jeep needs to change their equipment list to always list doors and roof as optional. That would get us all around the law.

Quick Reply: Cop pulled me over because I was doorless