Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Cop pulled me over because I was doorless

Old 06-11-2010, 08:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cop pulled me over because I was doorless

Today a cop pulled me over because I was doorless, he gave me a warning and gave me a paper to get signed by another cop proving I put my doors back on. I have been driving my Jeep in Pa for two years now with out a problem. Anyone know the exact law? I do use a mirror relocation kit.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:28 PM
JK Freak

Im also w/you.. Anyone?....
Old 06-11-2010, 08:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably a hummer or fj owner
Old 06-11-2010, 08:37 PM
JK Junkie

PA cops and laws suck....Ohio is just as bad too. I am so glad I moved away from the east coast.

I just found out that Ohio cops and site you a ticket now if they "think" your speeding! All they need now is "Best Judgment" no radar or laser required! WTF is that?
Old 06-11-2010, 08:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

That cop was no doubt an *sshole who was jealous of your fine JK.
I run into cops like that in Ca. Gave me a ticket for tinted windows with no option to get it signed off. Had to go to court, which is pretty much unheard of.
Anyway, about your predicament, I don't know about the laws in your area but here it's legal to run without doors as long as you have mirrors.
At least you don't have to go to court or pay a fine.
Still sucks though
Take care my friend.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:34 PM
JK Freak

laws like this only apply to vehicles registerd in those states right??

ea...
if a person in a state with no mudflap requirements goes to california.
can you get a ticket in cali for not having them?
Old 06-11-2010, 09:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here's one part of the code.

§ 175.77. Body.

(a) Condition of body. All items on the body shall be in safe operating condition as described in § 175.80 (relating to inspection procedure).

(b) Fenders. The wheels of a vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with fenders of a type used as original equipment. A tire may not come in contact with the body, fenders or chassis of the vehicle.

(c) Hood and hood latches. The entire motor compartment of a vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be covered by a hood. The hood shall be equipped with a double latch system to hold it in the closed position if the hood was originally so equipped.

(d) Protruding objects. There may be no torn metal, glass or other loose or dislocated parts protruding from the body of the vehicle.

(e) Fender flares. A vehicle may be equipped with fender flares not to exceed 3 inches.

(f) Doors. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with doors of a type used as original equipment. The doors shall open and close securely unless the vehicle has been manufactured or modified to the extent that there is no roof or side. Tailgates, except on vehicles where the tailgate gives access to the passenger compartment, may be replaced with wood planking, nets or other material that will prevent loss of load. Tailgates may be removed when optional equipment, for example a truck camper, is added.

Authority

The provisions of this § 175.77 amended under the Vehicle Code, 75 Pa.C.S. § § 4103, 4301, 4501, 4521 and 6103.

Source

The provisions of this § 175.77 adopted October 29, 1982, effective February 1, 1983, 12 Pa.B. 3862; corrected November 12, 1982, effective February 1, 1983, 12 Pa.B. 3947; readopted December 2, 1988, effective December 3, 1988, 18 Pa.B. 5362; amended November 13, 1998, effective May 13, 1999, 28 Pa.B. 5670. Immediately preceding text appears at serial pages (221239) to (221240).

As you can see, the sections on doors is all up to interpretation.

The doors are orginal equipment, but also manufactured to be removed resulting in no side. And you really can't call a soft top a roof, but you could call the hard top one.

I've known of people who fought and won, and fought and lost at the magistrate.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here's what it says in the inspection code.

§ 175.80. Inspection procedure

4) Check the door operation, including the tailgate, and reject if one or more of the following apply:

(i) The doors, except a tailgate on a pick-up truck, are not on the vehicle if originally fitted by the manufacturer.

(ii) The doors, including the tailgate, do not open and close securely, unless the vehicle has been manufactured or modified to the extent that there is no roof or side.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

In cali u only need mud flaps if the tires stick out past the fenders.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:14 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bizeball
Today a cop pulled me over because I was doorless, he gave me a warning and gave me a paper to get signed by another cop proving I put my doors back on. I have been driving my Jeep in Pa for two years now with out a problem. Anyone know the exact law? I do use a mirror relocation kit.
Let me guess......it was Northwest Regional? Were in the Dover area? If not, was it State, Local, or regional and where were you?

If so, it was probably the same prick that pulled me over for it last year. Technically it is illegal in PA unless you have a CJ (because doors were a factory option on them), but that was the only time I have ever had anyone give a shit. He read me the riot act like I just committed a felony. When I questioned him about the exact law, he literally stood there screaming at me on the side of the road with my fiance, her 9 yr old daughter, and daughter's friend in the Jeep with me. The guy was a total unprofessional asshat. After all the hysterics, he let me off with a written warning.

I have a funny feeling they hang out over there on 74 by Mount Zion Offroad and just hammer Jeep owners every chance they get. I still go doorless every chance I get, I just no longer drive through Dover.

Quick Reply: Cop pulled me over because I was doorless