Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Convince me to buy a softop - please

Old 07-14-2011, 03:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convince me to buy a softop - please

That is right - I have owned my jeep for almost two years and have only used the freedom top. While I love the versatility and security of a hard top I find myself not taking the panels out unless it is the weekend or a long drive.

Is there like a whole different jeep hiding under this black fiberglass???

I'm not jeep just like value for the dollar in this crazy economy. With $1300 + price tag this is a good chunk of change

Pic for views

Old 07-14-2011, 03:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I bought my 2010 with the dual top option and I am so glad I did. I used it a bit last year but I couldn't wait til spring to swap into the soft top. The ability to go topless is so convenient. I do like the freedom top for the winter months but love my soft top.

Just do it . . .
Old 07-14-2011, 03:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Just do it!!

I have both since new, first time I installed the soft top I thanked myself for doing so. Sooo many options on how to run, top up, down, rear window open only, take of the sides, sun runner....it just gives the Jeep a totally different look, feel.

Kiddies like how it sounds when it rains...sounds like a tent and your camping. Cool.

Check Kajiji ect...I see poeple from time to time sell them new...they don't want or need the soft top ??? You can usually pick one up pretty good price.

Once you do, put the top down, take the doors off...ahhhh priceless.

Enjoy!
Old 07-14-2011, 03:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Never owned a hardtop, but love having the ability to completely cover the jeep in under 10 mins with the soft top when unexpected weather occurs. I see alot of soft tops on Craigslist go for around 300-750 brand new so keep an eye out and you may get a good deal
Old 07-14-2011, 03:31 PM
JK Freak

I only have the soft top. Stays down about 70% of the time. No better feeling than the wind blowing after a long day at work. Talk about stress relief! I've run the A/C maybe 3 or 4 times in the last 1 1/2 years.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies, I have been watching the for sale section. But was wondering if all years are interchangeable?
Old 07-14-2011, 04:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe all soft tops will work on your vehicle as long as you get the hardware/door surrounds that go with that year
Old 07-14-2011, 04:17 PM
JK Junkie

Just go buy one of the aftermarket soft tops like the Bestop one that is slanted. A lot cheaper than buying the mopar stuff
Old 07-14-2011, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You even said PLEASE. It doesn't sound as if you need much convincing.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

My old CJ was a hard top and I was really set on another hard top. I got my JK used and it only had a soft top...I thought I'd keep my eyes out for a hard top. Now I love my soft top so much I'm sure a hard top would just be taking up space. My top is down as much as possible, but I leave it on so I can throw it back up when needed.

You just have to be patient and you'll find one at a good price. I know there has been one for sale near me for $350.

Quick Reply: Convince me to buy a softop - please